southwestern ontario froggers

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Philippe, Aug 15, 2012.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Philippe

Philippe Member

Here is a Look at my new tank set up. I said earlier that I was fooling around with making a custom background. Well, my mist king system that was three days old messed up on me. So my timer is stuck in the "ON" position no matter what I do. So I came home to a tank that was completely flooded! My poor frogs were up on the glass trying not to drown! Lucky for me I was using a rather small water reservoir, so the water came just to the brim of my exo terra before the doors, and didn't flow over and flood my living room floor! Needless to say, I had a huge mess on my hands. Because i was using a substrate that is a mix of coco husk and tree fern, i couldn't siphon the water out without clogging the siphon. UGH! Luckily I was working on a custom background tank in my basement with one of my old 20gal fish tanks. It wasn't completely finished, but was more than usable. I filled the bottom with aquarium gravel (which I have heard is actually a great substrate and plants will grow readily in it), rescued all my plants from the swamp they were in, plugged them into the gravel, covered that with a thin layer of sphagnum moss, and covered that with leaf litter. I then put my frogs in, and hooked up my mist king system to that. I had to go to the hardware store and buy a new timer which was a bummer. I have emailed Mist King about a replacement for my timer since it broke after 3 days, but that was a week ago and they have not gotten back to me. :mad:

Anyways, this is what the tank looks like now! I actually like it better than the last tank, even though i wish it were an exo terra, and the sides of the background you can see foam, because I had not gotten the chance to caulk it and cover with coco husk.

2. FwoGiZ

FwoGiZ Contributing Member

welcome to the board buddy!
    first time I hear bad stories about mistking timers! That sucks man... you actually buy those for that situation not to happen! that's weird!
    anyways, the frogs are saved, that's the most important ;)

3. Philippe

Philippe Member

I know! I was on their site and they talk about the fact that their timers will NOT get stuck in an on position! But yeah, I reset it, unplugged it, put it to manual mode. . . it just stays on. Don't know what the deal is, but I hope they will give me a new one. I'd hate to have to buy a 30 dollar timer from them when I've already paid for one. . . and then had to pay for another inferior timer from the hardware store to tide me over.

4. Marty

Marty Member

Hey Philippe, my apologies. Seems like a perfect storm. One, I still have a black hole in my email replies from the CRBE (few days of emails that haven't gotten answered) planning on clearing that today. Of course I will replace the timer for you, no problems at all. Normally this is not supposed to happen, unless 1 or 2 things happens. (1.) Rechargeable battery dies and does not hold charge..at which point the timer may turn the system on then basically turn the screen off and die leaving the timer in the ON state. OR (2.) the relay will die after triggering the ON cycle. Easy to verify, if you press ON/AUTO/OFF nothing happens. Typically though, it's either a programming error or someone by accident turned on the RANDOM function on the timer, at which point the timer will kick on totally randomly and stay on for random durations too. This would be indicated by a hollow circle on the display. Please check and let me know. Email me at marty [at] mistking.com and I'll send you a new timer. Since you're in london you should get it overnight as I'm shipping from Windsor.

I know how you feel, I flooded my tank once too. I manually turned the misting system on and then got distracted and forgot about it. I came back few hrs later and my 90gal tank was filled about 3/4 of the way to the top (probably about 60gal) of water in it. It looked like the most amazing aquarium :) At any rate, email me and I'll send you a new timer. Will have to go out tomorrow as I'm out of town until the evening.

Marty

5. Philippe

Philippe Member

Hey Marty,
    Thanks for the reply, and I will get back in touch with you this evening after checking my timer as you have directed. I have pushed the ON/AUTO/OFF and the timer stays ON. It says OFF but its still sending power to the outlet. Anyways, I'll check again. Just to be clear to everyone, I have had no issues with the misting system itself. It's been great and produces an amazingly fine mist that is just great. And thank god it has a motor that can run dry, because that saved me having to purchase a new pump! After re-reading my last post I felt I may have sounded like I am dissapointed with my Mist King system as a whole, which couldn't be further from the truth. I was just frustrated with the timer messing up, obviously because I had a mess to clean up! Anyways, like I said, I'll get back to you Marty, later this evening.

Social Sharing