R. Amazonica Egg/Tadpole Diary

Discussion in 'Eggs, Tadpoles & Breeding' started by CarsonH, May 11, 2017.

1. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

Few Months ago got 4 R. Amazonica from Ethan. Great frogs from a great keeper. Calling started on day 3, and they produced eggs April 24th. Ill try and add developement photos as i can.

1: day 0 when i found the eggs April 24
    [​IMG]

2: tadpoles May 6,
    [​IMG]

3: microscope photo day of hatching may 11 pippetted out of brom
    [​IMG]

4: tank shot
    [​IMG]

5: tads remaining ni brom
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. Matt001

Matt001 Member

Are the plants doing well on the sponge background?

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

3. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

I'm using a sheet of biofilter "media" designed for ponds. It seems to be working well, but I'm scared that it will degrade under lights/sun? I bought it from a local pond shop at 10 bucks a square foot. When I post updates of the task I'll include some photos of plants rooting into it. I'm hoping that if I grow enough java moss on it the light won't be able to hit it.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Matt001 likes this.
  4. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

Quick update; of the 7 eggs laid, 4 hatched, 3 died/decayed at different levels of development. one was definitely my fault for pipetting it out too early. but the other 2 just stopped developing and turned to mush.

interesting shot because of the lighting
    [​IMG]

one tad has yet to grow.. swims and reacts to stimuli, but cannot tell if its eatting and or pooping; it is definitely not growing. as seen in photo, the larger one represents the 3 that are growing. i am feeding pollen, spirulina, triop food (mixed marine seaweeds and fish meal)
    [​IMG]

found another 5 almost developed tadpoles! almost lost a frog while getting a photo though. the frogs are small and quick! took about 2 minutes to find/catch him. all covered in dog fur, so i put him in a jar with water and swished tilll he was clean and let him jump back into his home hopefully no worse off?
    [​IMG]

and, as requested, a few shots of my backgrouind material
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt001 likes this.
  5. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

Caught him sitting on the mist nozzle, nice and close for a photo![​IMG]

6. Razor

Razor Member

No need to worry about that filter media degrading. I use it in much harsher conditions. I have pieces that are years old with no signs of decay. It'll probably take 10 000 years to decay like other plastics lol

Matt001 likes this.
  7. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

I got a morph out bin up and running. 3 tads about to pop their front legs, and another 2 in deli cups a couple months away. Going to try and get some photos with my microscope later tonight[​IMG]

8. Ethan A

Ethan A Contributing Member

Looking good! Hope to see some froglets soon!

9. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

That quick reply tempted me to get the photos right then and there. 3 nicely developing tads, now 70 days old. Maybe temps are too low? But the look good. That last tadpoles is the same clutch, not growing at all.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ethan A likes this.
  10. Ethan A

Ethan A Contributing Member

Really neat to see them close up with their skin texture and colours! I think they look about right for development save the last one. I had a clutch around the same time as you and they are almost popping their front legs. I have seen 'permanent tadpoles' on other forums and have had a couple instances with them from my amazonica group. Mine have never made it very long however. I haven't really looked into it, maybe someone else can comment?
    Ethan

11. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

I'm glad you like the photos, I have some very cool ones from when they were younger and the pigment was more space out like a galaxy. I too have heard of permapoles, (new term?!) But never experienced them.

12. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

Of the three tadpoles I only have one that made it. One disappeared, and the other had SLS nd disappeared as well.

I have been gone for the past and a half and had roommates caring for my frogs except for the frpglets. The baby looks healthy, and in a leaf litter bin with large amounts of springtails and a small population of isopods. There are so many springs that every time I come home I feed springs from this bin rather than from my cultures.[​IMG]

Social Sharing