oldskool dart frogger

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mike W, Feb 23, 2014.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Mike W

Mike W New Member

Hello Everyone.

My name is Mike Williams. live just outside Calgary.

I was into darts, mantellas, etc about 10-15 yrs ago. there wasn't many of us in Canada back then that had darts. used to do a lot of the reptile shows and did a segment on the old pet guys TV show about darts. I bred Tricolours by the hundreds.

Just joined to see if anyone is still around from those days. Would be nice to chat with some locals and see whats going on in the dart world. it has been many years since I had anything to do with the frogs and lots has changed. it was one of the best hobbies I ever had and still miss it to this day.

thanx

mike w

h2osanity likes this.
  2. h2osanity

h2osanity Contributing Member

What kind of things have changed Mike? Is it better or worse? We always seem to be playing catch-up to those crazy European hobbyists (in the aquarium world too)

3. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

welcome to the forum Mike. Great to have another local person interested in frogs. Keeping Dart frogs is a VERY rewarding hobby indeed. Its addictive too. We have over 30 vivs . I believe its not only about the frogs, I love the minny ecosystem that can develop. Rare and unusual plants that thrive in in the warm and humid environment of a dart frog viv. We may have met in the past. I have been in the pet industry and similar hobbies for a very long time. I Think It is time to have a dart frog meet here in Calgary. Put some faces to names :)

Dawn

4. Brandon B

Brandon B Contributing Member

Welcome Mike

5. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

welcome

6. Lo)2enz0

Lo)2enz0 Contributing Member

Mike is the guy who got me into dart frogs 13 years ago. Remember going over to my friends place (martin angelstad who some of you in BC might know), he just purchased a few tri-colors off of Mike. After contacting Mike I went over to his place to look more into the hobby and he really opened my eyes to the enjoyment of keeping darts. At the time the hobby was very new to canada and seeing surinam cobalts, powder blues and azureus was very rare. Great to hear your looking at getting back into the hobby mike.

h2osanity likes this.
  7. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

Welcome back to the hobby.

8. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

welcome back to the hobby

9. Mike W

Mike W New Member

hey guys.

I wasn't being antisocial. lol. had a problem with my account and couldn't post. thanx drew for fixing it.
    thank you for the warm welcome. laurier it is always good to hear from you. iam glad I was an inspiration to you back then. Dawn I think it would be a great idea for all the locals to meet at some point. I should get some frogs first. lol. Hi Phil. I used to do a lot of joint ships and purchases with Brent Johnson. I think we did some deals in the past? it was a long time ago.

To answer the question. Whats changed? lots.

way more availability. years ago I think there was only a handful of us in western Canada. darts were hard to get. when I sadly sold my 4 Azureus adults I walked away with $1000. crazy.
    there is more info available now. more frogs and morphs have been discovered. more research has been done. Tank design and the plants been used has evolved. Years ago we were more like mad scientists, lol. doing what ever worked for us. I only ever used crickets and normal fluorescent lights. I had great success breeding hundreds of tricolours and keeping my collection alive which did include some wild caught frogs. any death including froglets or tadpoles was very rare.
    I never had a computer at home years ago. did all my sales by word of mouth, reptile shows, and getting to know people in stores from Calgary to Edmonton.

Back in the day I was friends with a fellow by the name of John Kirlin. he lived in Victoria. had a crazy collection of reptiles including a pair of albino cobras. I lost contact with john. I was wondering if anyone else on here knew John. Sadly the only info I could find when trying to locate him was an obituary. :(

h2osanity likes this.
  10. greenoasis1

Mike,

I remember shipping out a bunch of frogs to Brent back in the 90's in the mid 90's I believe.
    I think you may have got your tricolors through me.

I also knew of John Kirlin a friend of mine stayed with him for a while in the 90's,he had quite a collection of all sorts.
    I also heard that he died,not sure when.

You're right in the early years of keeping darts, up to date information about dartfrogs was hard to come by.
    Lots of trial and error

11. Mike W

Mike W New Member

Hi Phil,

I gave my brain a jog. I think brent and I got some powder blue tincs and some thumbnails from you. would have been late 90's. shared a few emails with brent recently. he is doing well but has no reptiles these days.
    My Tricolours came from Jared Wolfe. they originated from Europe. I was in a local pet store a few weeks back. was shocked to see they had darts. i was checking out a tank with darts along with a few other people. when i looked at the guy beside me i just about fell over. It was Jared. we haven't spoke in about ten years and we bump into each other in a pet store looking at dart frogs. i used to go to his place when he would bring in big orders from Europe. from what i remember there were some pretty rare and expensive frogs.

it is sad about john. i did a few deals with him and went to his place in the early 2000's. he was a good guy.

greenoasis1 likes this.
  12. Ethan A

Ethan A Contributing Member

Hi Mike, I'm sorry to hear about your friend :(
    Welcome back to the hobby, it must be quite crazy to see how things have progressed.
    Welcome back ;)

13. Mike W

Mike W New Member

Thanx Ethan.

Your in Victoria. beautiful place. my sister lives there. I was out there last summer, spent a night in Vancouver on the way back and saw Black Sabbath. :)

14. greenoasis1

Mike,

For some reason I thought I shipped you and Brent some tricolours it may have been someone else in Calgary.

Jared did bring alot of darts from Europe that were rare here in North America.
    Alot of the old dartfrog lines in the states and Canada originated from Jared.
    I still talk to him every now and then,he's out of the frogs world and has a business in Calgary building custom homes, I believe.

15. Mike W

Mike W New Member

phil.

I can remember shipping tricolours out east through brent. Global exotics seems to ring a bell??

I guess Jared called it quits with his own business and now works for a local home builder. I think he still has the itch to get some frogs but has a family to look after too these days.

it is good chatting with you. I keep getting these blasts from the past. just had a text from an old friend who has the engine from my race car from 20 years ago. he wants to sell the engine back to me. weird. all of a sudden a sudden iam chatting with people from 10 - 20 years ago. lol it is good :)

16. TrevorS

TrevorS Member

Hey Mike,

Welcome back to the hobby, things have changed a lot in the last 10-15 years.

I got my first dart frogs from John Kirlin about 14 years ago, a group of P. vittatus. I don't have the vittatus anymore... too loud. I still have a trio of D. azureus I got from John about 12 years ago. Unfortunately John passed away about 8-9 years ago, due to cancer. He was a great guy and had a bunch of cool animals for sure.

17. Mike W

Mike W New Member

hey trevor,

always nice to speak to some one that knew John.

yes many changes. and I think all for the better.

Social Sharing