New Frogs :D

Discussion in 'Mantella' started by pcw_phoenix, Mar 18, 2010.

1. pcw_phoenix

pcw_phoenix Member

I just got some new frogs from frogfreak...:D 4 Mantella expectata

J

2. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

No pics? ;)

3. pcw_phoenix

pcw_phoenix Member

I think i planted my tank too well..and i put in too many plants...i can't find them ><' but i did manage to get 3 photos...2 are from the same frog..and one from another I THINK...

here they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

Glad you're happy will them J :D

I find with Mantella's, the heavier the tank is planted the better. As long as they have somewhere to dive for cover, They're all good. They love leaf litter.

It will take some time for them to get used to their new home. The warmer weather is here so you should hear some calling soon. :)

Best of lluck with them!

Can you post a full tank shot? We would love to see it.

5. pcw_phoenix

pcw_phoenix Member

6. j2quinn

j2quinn Member

According to Marc Staniszewski's book Mantellas, M. expectata require both a damp and dry area as well as a body of water, which can be varied for seasonal change; however, always present. I hope this helps you with designing your vivarium. I typically install a sheet of glass that partitions the base of an aquarium that can hold water and keep earth out.. i fill that area up with pebbles and control the amount of water present. You should have no problem keeping them happy after this. They are a great species due to their tolerance of temperature!

7. pcw_phoenix

pcw_phoenix Member

The 4 Mantella i have...3 of them are on the small size the 4th is bigger and fatter..and i think all of them calls..everyday they call..ever since i started posting this thread...they almost call everyday...even now that i am typing they are calling...lol...my parents think I'm breeding crickets rather then keeping frogs..lol.....i have seen some fighting amongst the smaller guys..do u think the fath one is a female???

Thanks

8. bakaichi

bakaichi Contributing Member

are those the offspring form Glenn & Laura ?

>< jealous i havent been able to breed my group of 4 expecetata yet

the Female loook extremely fat for the last 2 month but haven see any egg laying

they are cool frog..

if you startle the, hahah you will see the blue on thir leg fade instantaniousely

9. pcw_phoenix

pcw_phoenix Member

Ya i got them from Glenn. i have no idea if they are breeding or whatever they are doing..all they do is calling and callng and calling and calling and calling..sign...hope they will do something..

J

10. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

We were unable to determine the sexes for sure when we had them. If 3 are wrestling and the lone fat one isn't...my guess would be that one is female. We sure hope so. Our female Viridis get huge.

You can try burying some film canisters in the soil with some water and spagnum moss on an angle. Keep an eye on them and let us know what happens. :)

Social Sharing