Mantella Adoption??

Discussion in 'Mantella' started by SLDDave, May 2, 2006.

1. SLDDave

SLDDave Contributing Member

I visit this pet store by my house often to get crickets and for months I have noticed this little mantella. For the past few weeks I have looked for him but apparently he's always been hiding in his coco hut. This brings me to todays events. I saw him today only because the store thought the public could see him better without his hut. I think this is kind of mean. If you don't know what a mantella is or even looks like then why are you going to buy it???? Anyway I'm thinking of adopting him but I need opinions because I am not experienced with mantellas and only have one pair of darts. Let me know what you experts think.

2. Lackey

Lackey Member

Any idea what type of Mantella it is? I have also been thinking about getting a couple from Mark. From what I understand, they are similar to keeping Darts but some require a cooler temp.

3. SLDDave

That's what i hear as well. I have no idea what kind it is (you know pet stores). He or she is a dark orange with black on the sides. I just feel that I could provide a nice habitat for him

4. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

im sorry to hear that a pet store is mistreating a frog. But by buying it you start the vicious cycle, where they sold it so they get more of them to mistreat.

5. SLDDave

Maybe I was too hard on the pet store because when I went to get him today they had completely changed his enclosure and gave him back his hut. I didn't even say anything to the employees about it either. I had my mind made up about it anway and bought him. I'll post pics tonight after work. BTW I think it is an M. betsileo

6. SLDDave

Here it is

[​IMG]

7. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

That looks to me like a brown mantella. Correct me if I am wrong someone.

8. Frogkeeper

Frogkeeper Member

Looks like a brown one. Most likely the won't bring in any more Mantellas don't usually sell that well.

9. j2quinn

j2quinn Member

mantella betsileo. typically timid. should always have a place to hide. pm me the pet store if it is in toronto. i concur with previous comment. once bought i doubt it will be replaced.

if you do purchase it. m. betsileo are quite resilient. if it has survived at a pet store for months on end.. i bet it will thrive in a proper live planted terrarium at home.

my two cents.

-jq

10. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

Ummmm

This post is like 4 years old... :p

Social Sharing