'Frogbert' the Pacific Chorus Frog

Discussion in 'Other Amphibians' started by cephalotus, May 14, 2015.

1. cephalotus

cephalotus Member

This frog is what brought me to this board/herping in the first place. She was a completely accidental acquisition in the spring of 2013; came in as a tadpole in a bucket of aquatic plants I purchased at a local nursery. Since it wasn't a local frog species I couldn't release it, and I didn't want to kill it either, so I determined to try to raise it as best I could. Hence my lurking on frog forums gleaning all the information I possibly could! I don't have any photos of the tadpole during its first few weeks of life as it was very tiny and good at hiding. But here is a picture of the tadpole once it got a bit bigger and started to sprout its hind limbs:

[​IMG]

And here is the tadpole after its front legs appeared. This stage made me very nervous as I had read that most juvenile deaths happen during the transition between tadpole to froglet!

[​IMG]

Ever since I acquired the tadpole I had been keeping it in an open-topped aquarium with no lid. I really had no concept of the frog's potential ability to climb or jump out. One morning shortly after the above photo was taken, I looked into the tank to check up on my little ward and could not find it anywhere!! I spent like 10 minutes sifting through plants and leaves and checking every nook and cranny for the tadpole. Had it died and been eaten by snails? How could it disappear so quickly and completely??

Then, I happened to glance up at the rim of the aquarium:
    [​IMG]

The drab brown tadpole had metamorphosed into a bright green frog overnight!? I'm very lucky it didn't actually climb out of the aquarium to dry out or get eaten by my cats!

"Frogbert" is now two years old and living happily in a 10 gallon terrarium filled with plants. I have determined that she is a girl since she does not have a dark throat patch and has never made any sort of call.
    [​IMG]

I love this frog and have taken way too many pictures of her as she's grown. She's maxed out at about 1.5" from nose to butt. She gets excited whenever she sees me starting to open the lid and hops around like a goof until she falls off whatever leaf or branch she's sitting on. She will wait for me to put my hand in the tank and then snatch crickets right from my fingers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mwringe likes this.
  2. brayden

brayden Member

great story

3. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

she looks great

4. lnikkiy

lnikkiy Member

So cool!
    And you are not the only one who takes WAYYYY too many pics of their frogs ;)

5. flytrap

flytrap Member

great story. I <3 pacific chorus frogs!

Social Sharing