Carnivorous plants and dart frog

Discussion in 'Plants' started by PKwan, Oct 2, 2017.

1. PKwan

PKwan Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if somebody has already tested carnivorous plants such as nepenthes in a terrarium with dart frogs ?

2. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Legendary Member

Dep. on what dart frogs you put in there and size of Nepenthes it may not be a good idea. I have Nepenthes that are large enough to trap Terribilis and even the smaller ones can trap thunbnails so it wouldn't be a good idea. The small Pitcher plants can go in with large frogs as long as the frogs can't fit in them. The fluids inside have a narcotic effect on their prey making them dopey so they end up drowning in the bottom of the pitchers. Would be a shame to lose a frog that way plus the most expensive meal your Nepenthes would ever have. Same for Venus Fly Traps. I have seen traps large enough to catch thumbnails especially baby pumilio's that just morphed would be an easy meal. Best for a tank would be Butterworths (Pings). I have several of those if you are interested. Beautiful pink flowers and can catch fungus nats and small fruit flies. They can't harm dart frogs.

Ron.

3. bbjoeys

bbjoeys Contributing Member

I have a N. alata cross with my Iquitos and they are great together.

4. PKwan

PKwan Member

Thank you Ron for the information. I don't know the name of the nepenthes, I bought it in a garden center and I suppose it is a most common nepenthes.
    It is for a new tank with tarapotos (I think it is quite the same size as Iquitos). Bbjoyes, have you ever seen your iquitos trying to go in the traps ?
    I was said that you can put a little stick in the traps in case.
    Ron I will remember that you have some pinguicula. Can you send to Qu├ębec ?
    I have drosera, do you think it could fit in this kind of terrarium ?

5. Ron Jung

I would never put Nepenthes in with any of my frogs especially not thumbnails. I am not sure if a stick would help as if they are in the water for any length of time there is a sort of narcotic in there to make the bugs groggy so they stop trying to get out and drown and this could happen even faster to the frogs as their skin absorbs water soluble things faster than an insect with an exoskeleton. You could put in Drosera as long as it is the one with tiny round leaves at the end of the stock not the Capensis types with long skinny leaves as they roll up around the insects and if a tiny frog gets stuck on that it may not escape. Better safe than sorry. What Drosera's do you have?

I might be able to ship them to Quebec but they are fragile and boxes get banged around a lot in shipping and even turned upside down or on it's side which can easily damage the plant. If you ever come to an Expo here in Toronto I am not far from there and you are more than welcome to drop by and gab some and if you have some nice Drosera's we could trade.

Ron.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  6. bbjoeys

Ron, I have had grown them together for quite a while now and have also read a lot about mixing neps and frogs. I have also had N. ampullaria with my vanzos. I see that you pmed me but I am not interested in a trade as I have grown droseras, pings, helis and neps for a long time and have given most away and now focus on cephs and a couple neps.

7. Ron Jung

OK I am glad that you were able to do that and had nothing bad happen. I guess I am just a bit more nervous about that as with my luck something bad would happen to my frogs. I know you don't want to trade but do you ever sell any extra of your C.P's? I used to have Ceph's but lost them and have been looking for them again. Could you email me so we could talk? :)

Thanks.
    Ron.

8. bbjoeys

I will take a couple leaf and pitcher pullings and see what I can get started. I have propagated cephs this way before and will let you know.

9. Ron Jung

Thanks. :)

Ron.

10. PKwan

PKwan Member

Thank you Ron for the offer: Toronto is a long trip for me.
    Similarly to my nepenthes, I have no idea about the name of my droseras. Sorry...
    I will go on to think about putting nepenthes in my new tank...

11. Sheldor

Sheldor Member

Hey guys, I've had nepenthes in a tank with a group of chatuzas that I actually purchased from Ron :) a few years back.
    The frogs actually really enjoy them, in and out all the time, believed they even sleep in there, downside - I did however have a problem where they deposited a tad in there which didn't make it, not a good environment for a tad.

12. Ron Jung

Maybe talk to bbjoeys as she has had good success with them and dart frogs. She might be able to give you some good pointers. I am just a C.P. novice who has dabbled with them over the past 30 years but not a real expert with them.

Hey Sheldor. Glad to hear the frogs are still doing well. Give me an email sometime and we can catch up.

Ron.

13. PKwan

PKwan Member

So a second guy with quite good story with nepenthes and frogs. Glad to read it...

14. bbjoeys

PKwan I never saw the Iquitos going into the pitchers. There are many film canisters in there and they use those. If you post pics of your Drosera I can try to identify it.

I actually removed the N. ampularia from the vanzo viv because it was getting too big and was not getting enough light in there to pitcher. Overall the Nepenthes do way better for me in the plant room right under my T5's or near a bright window.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  15. PKwan

PKwan Member

Here is a picture. I tried without success to transplant some of them. But each time the little drosera died ...Do you have some advice ?

Attached Files:

16. bbjoeys

To me that looks like Drosera spatulata. They grow well using the wet tray method. If they are happy in what they are in I would not repot. Just set the pot into about a centimeter of reverse osmosis water in a tray. Do not fertilize. Do you have a sunny windowsill? It would not do well in a viv for a number of reasons - not enough light, media is too nutrient dense, and getting trampled upon by your frogs.

17. bbjoeys

Ceph divisions and cuttings have been started! Nothing is cuter to me than a baby Cephalotus. Sorry kids!

Attached Files:

Ron Jung likes this.
  18. yukondave

yukondave Member

They are cute. Are they "typical" Cephalotus? They look very green.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

19. bbjoeys

Thanks! Yes they are typical. The pitchers were getting big and red at a different window and under T5's. They are all spread around the house now.

Social Sharing