Aurantiaca tadpoles - advise welcomed!

Discussion in 'Mantella' started by Knagy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Knagy

Knagy Member

I found my first fertile clutch of Aurantiaca eggs a few days ago, and now I have 67 tadpoles doing pretty well. I have not raised these before so I would be very grateful for advise.

Water: bottled spring water, conditioned with dried oak leaves.
    Container: plastic about 20cm x 20cm, 3cm deep water housing all tadpoles for now, plastic floating plants, small pieces of dried and re-hydrated java moss to hide in.
    Food: 1 part chlorella, 1 part spirulina, one part liquid fish fry food.

I would love to give them some live algae, but hesitate out of fear of introducing parasites (such as hydra) if I get live plants from the pet store. Does any of you have live algae that are for sure free of hydra?

Kristina

2. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

Kristina,

Your setup looks good so far.
    When they start growing a bit you can divide them into more containers and also raise the water level.
    You can also add some Pothos instead of the plastic plants ,the tadpoles will graze on them.
    You can also feed them powdered Nettle and if you can find it Sera Micron is a great food for tadpoles.
    Make sure the water is always clean.

Below are some links that have good info.

Good luck.

http://www.amphibian.co.uk/mantella.html
    http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/caresheets/goldenmantellafrog.html

3. Knagy

Knagy Member

Thanks for the links and the reassurance! I will try to find the nettle powder and Sera Micron tomorrow.
    K

4. Knagy

Knagy Member

I thought I post an update: things are still looking good for my "babies". 62 tadpoles 5 days after hatching a clutch of 67 eggs.

Tadpole5days.jpg

5. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

thats pretty neat...looks like you're gonna have a lot of mouths to feed

6. Knagy

Knagy Member

They are growing like seaweed...and guess what? My other female laid a clutch yesterday! Of course I don't know if they will be successfully fertilized, but if they are, I wonder if I have enough springtail culture going?:)

7. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

they will eat you out of house and home:) But seriously we careful not to over produce them, they might prove hard to get sell in large quantities

frogfreak likes this.
  8. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

I believe there will always be a market to sell any captive bred Mantellas.
    Especially Goldens which only a small number have been exported out of Madagascar in the last 5-8 years and their habitat in the wild is shrinking every year.
    There should be more people focusing on breeding Mantellas to get their numbers up in captivity.

Ron Jung likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

good point Phil

10. Knagy

Knagy Member

Yes, that was actually the main reason why I got them in the first place! It is scary how critically endangered their situation in Madagascar is, and the resources there for captive breeding are very limited. We as hobbyists can play an important role: if there are good numbers of captive bred frogs on the market, it will take the business out of the illegal capture and export of w/c animals.

11. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Do you find that the frogs are bold?
    I have never had Mantellas but love the look of them

12. Knagy

Knagy Member

When they are juveniles, they tend to be shy, but my Aurantiaca are fully mature now, and they are VERY bold! I love these little frogs, and I am almost inclined to say that they recognize their carers - most certainly they know when it is misting or feeding time and come right out to get a shower or the best flies. Their call is adorable too.
    My tadpoles are still doing great, and I am excitedly looking forward to the coming weeks/months as they start their metmorphosis. At the moment, I feed them a mix of 2 parts chlorella, 2 parts spirulina, 1 part small fish fry powdered food, 1 part powdered blood worms, 1 part crushed tadpole pellets and add a tiny pinch of ReptiCal and HerptiVite. I remove the majority of debris with a pipett every other day and replace with fresh bottles spring water and a small amount of water conditioned on dry oak leaves. The tads have java moss and photos leaves to hide under. So far so good!

PS. I see you have a black lab and some Azureus... I used to have a lab and wish I had the circumstances to have one now - and Azureus have always been frog I have had a soft spot for:)

Kristina Tadpoles 2 weeks after hatching.jpg

mystah and greenoasis1 like this.
  13. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

My dog is actually a Lab x Sheppard, but he has the best of both personalities!
    He is protective of my wife if I am not around, but very gentle with kids and adults when we are around.
    He loves to swim and fetch (happiest when he is at the cottage). He has the shape of a Sheppard (lean) but with half floppy lab ears...They don't perk up like a Sheppard’s ears. He still acts like a pup even though he is 10 years old.
    DSC027651.JPG

14. Knagy

Knagy Member

Oh, I love that look! He must be lovely guy! I have had both Labs and Sheppards so I can imagine what a wonderful dog yours must be!
    My tadpoles are just about popping their front legs right now so it is very exciting times. I am a bit uncertain about the best method to keep them while they morph out. I have 5-10 tadpoles in each of a 20x20cm rubbermaid container and have found that they react with a lot of stress (stop eating) to environmental changes. For this reason, I would like to keep them where they are but provide an area where they can climb out of the water. Since my containers are pretty much square, I was thinking of and "island" in the middle of the container instead of a "slope" . Has anyone of you done anything along these lines before?

15. strasstn

strasstn Member

If you're interested in taking up the challenge of mantellas, let me know, I've got a trio of mature baroni and trio of juvi goldens I'd be interested in letting go to a good home.

Cheers

16. dsaundry

dsaundry Contributing Member

Do you have any pics of your set up? I have a group of 4 Aurantiaca as well

17. repmeottawa

repmeottawa Member

Kristina:

Just wondering if you have any frog or froglets for sale. I will be in your area the end of the month for the reptile show. I love the mantella's

Riego

Social Sharing