advice on building a new VIV

Discussion in 'Vivarium General' started by Lo)2enz0, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Lo)2enz0

Lo)2enz0 Contributing Member

So I have been out of the dart frog hobby for close to 7 years now and i was wondering if you have any advice on building a vivarium. For the past 2 years i have been focusing on my salt water hobby but the ich has been there. So here is my idea.

40gal breeder (36"x18"x16")

now what I want to do is incorperate come of my ideas from keeping SW and run basically a sump. So under the tank in the stand i want to have a 10 gal strickly for flow of the water in the false bottom and another 10gal for a misting system. On the return side back into the "sump" i will use a filter sock to filter out the water and keep it as clean as possiable. I mostly want a small pond. now here is where the questions start:

what is the best way to keep the tank at the proper temp? I used to use heat pads under all my tanks but i have seen people using aquarium heats (which i have a few to spare). What is the best background??? I liked sNapples idea with using the epiweb.

Where is the best source for plants these days??? For lighting i am going to run a 2x24watt sunlight supply new wave t5 fixture which should be more than enough.

and to keep this thread interesting, here is what has kept me busy for the past few years. I want to get back into the dart frog game but fist is getting an establish tank.

[​IMG]

2. Scarloc

Scarloc Contributing Member

If you are going to have a false bottom and be pumping water into it I imagine if you heat your smaller 10 gallon it would transfer through.

3. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

I agree with Scarloc. heating the 10g would probably be the easiest. That said, if your viv is at room temp. no heat will be required.

As far as backgrounds, that's where personal taste comes in. We like GS/Silicone but it has draw backs. The plants don't do as well on it.

There are many other methods

Tree Fern, Epiweb, Cork bark or no background at all. I've seen outstanding vivs built with all of these methods. Have a look around on the site. There's lots beautiful vivs to look at. :)

Let us know what you decide and make sure to post pics ;)

4. Lo)2enz0

Lo)2enz0 Contributing Member

Thanks for the input guys. My one issue is sourcing out quality moss. as for a background i was even thinking if it was painted black this still could look great for the idea i have. I need to pick up flakes for my fish so i will be running over to one of the stores that sells tanks. after pricing everything out this sounds like a better idea than starting another SW tank.

5. brp4e

brp4e Member

for background you can silicone epiweb/ecoweb panels onto the glass so that the back is all covered with ecoweb, then use spray foam on the ecoweb leaving pockets of it exposed for the plants to root into, then cover the spray foam with coco fibre or w,e you want.

Social Sharing