WTB: Nemerteans

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Umbra, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Umbra

Umbra Member

That's right, you read it correctly, I'd like to purchase your unwanted pests! I've set up several small microfauna vivarium out of apothecary jars and would like to keep several species of terrestrial nemerteans in them. If anybody has any I'd gladly buy them!

I'm in Markham/GTA area but I'm willing to travel 2-3 hours to get them or failing that I'll wait until the weather warms to have them shipped to me. You can e-mail me at scott.tylerfung@gmail.com

Thanks!

EDIT: It just occurred to me that people might have them and not realize it, mistaking them for slugs. Here is some more info on them with photos:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.cann/articles/nemerteans.html
    http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu305/miss_cherry_blossom/Dendro/f033.jpg

Disclaimer: none of the photos are mine

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. Umbra

Umbra Member

Really? Nobody has any?

3. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

not on purpose, but like you said im now sure we know

4. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

I think you emailed me and I do have some that come out at night. I used to get rid of them but do have some if you still want them.

Ron.

5. Epiphile

Epiphile Contributing Member

I may have some of these guys, but you'd mentioned in another thread how you've been finding more flatworms than anything in people's collections. How do we differentiate?

6. Umbra

Umbra Member

I'm interested in both, please pass them my way if you don't mind =) All of the predatory terrestrial worms are of interest to me.

Flatworms are more elongated and have a pointed anterior region that they move around in an almost waving/probing motion, kind of like a wagging finger. Nemerteans tend to move more like slugs and some species will fire the proboscis for quicker locomotion if you tap the posterior end lightly. Nemerteans are also blunt at both ends and are almost waxworm like in shape.

Here is the most common terrarium nemertean, Argonemertes dendyi:

This video shows one firing the proboscis to escape harassment:

This is Rhynchodemus sylvaticus, the flatworm that is probably most common in people's collections, note the characteristic swaying movement of the sharply tapered anterior end:

41714049 and Epiphile like this.
  7. Umbra

Umbra Member

I'm looking for more once again! If anyone has any please let me know! I'll purchase any number you can supply! I have a few new candidates for predation, we'll see how these turn out.

8. Umbra

Umbra Member

Still looking for more, please let me know,if you have any!

Sent from my RM-877_nam_canada_234 using Tapatalk

9. Umbra

Umbra Member

Still looking if anyone has any, will buy them!

Social Sharing