Worms in Viv

Discussion in 'Members Frogs & Vivariums' started by stephwrigs, May 1, 2017.

1. stephwrigs

stephwrigs Member

Anyone had experience with these worms? Are the good or bad? Removed 3 today from the tank....
    Pretty small, 3 cm maybe?

Attached Files:

2. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

I believe what you have there is a nemertean. Not good really.. they eat microfauna and possibly frog eggs as well?

3. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

If I remember correctly, these are not good, and would have come in on soil that had been outdoors. Any wood or leaves collected outside in the tank? Any plants that came potted from a nursery?

4. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

wow 3cms thats big. probably not harmful but oggggllyyy

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

5. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

They eat fruit flies in the tank. I have them in several of my tanks and a friend of mine takes all that I can catch. He has them as a top predator in his micro tanks and loves any variety of those he can find. I haven't found them to bother with eggs in my tank but then they have enough flies to eat but I wouldn't let them get out of control just remove the ones you see on the glass and it takes a while before they bounce back.

Ron.

6. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

Not sure what kind of worm it is... but you could add a piece of lettuce to attract them..and then remove some of them.

7. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

It is a nemertean and they eat fruit flies spring tails and other small insects. I don't believe they would go after lettuce but live insect food. Easiest way to get rid of them is wipe them from the glass when you see them and don't over feed so the frogs eat all the flies and they can't then find any.

8. bbjoeys

bbjoeys Contributing Member

Ugh I got a couple frogs and a bromeliad from another hobbyist a couple of years ago and nemereteans snuck in on the bromeliad. There are now in my azureus viv and I am going to start squishing them when I see them. I thought they were neat at first but now there are too many!

9. Terry

Terry Member

I have those too-yup real ugly-think I got mine from a dirty Springtail culture made up from used and dirty substrate from LPS

10. Terry

Terry Member

Also I gassed my tanks with CO2 and I still have them,I dont think I gassed them long enough to penetrate the substrate is why I think I still have worms but it did cut down the amount of them though.

11. stephwrigs

stephwrigs Member

Thanks guys for the identification. Been removing & squishing them every time I see them. Had bought potted broms, removed soil & rinsed super good....or so I thought. Lots of eggs had been laid in that tank & lots of tadpoles now, so they must not have went for the eggs.

Social Sharing