What a scam!

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by Katown, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Katown

Katown Member

When setting up our first vivarium, the ABG mix was nowhere to be found, EXCEPT Amazon.ca the mix comes from Josh's frogs in the states, apparently the ONLY place a Canadian can order this ABG.mix. I of course ordered my 3 bags, the total came to $54 With shipping, I received my order, no.problem. I Got a bill three months later saying I owe $36.10 to Fed Ex. I searched online trying to find out why I was charged again for the mix. Al. I read was Fed Ex cannot collect any extra money and that they cannot go after you as they have no info about you. So the Bulk of the complaints said p*ss on the letter you got and forget about it. Only to come home today to a letter from a collection agency demanding their $36.10. I got online and chatted to a lady from Amazon. She contacted Josh's Frogs, and they Wont take the charge off. I must pay it. My problem is not the amount, I was told nowhere on my check out or when I got my delivery I would of had any other charges. Anyone else have this issue? BUYER BEWARE!!!! Im not happy. Very upset about it actually. How can they do that????? If I was aware, no problem. I was not told or read it anywhere, I went back onto Amazon.ca to see if it was noted, nowhere does it say extra charges may apply. Ive Ordered lots off of Amazon, and one pkg came from China no other order I recieved another charge. Its ridiculous!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(o_Oo_Oo_O

2. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

3. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

This is not uncommon at both fedex and ups they often bill you later for duty and various other charges. When buying from amazon.ca you have to be aware that few products are actually shipped out by them and mostly by other vendors. I personally will rarely deal with businesses that ship via FedEx or ups. I instead have them shipped to a bosrder service that brings them across for me.

greenoasis1 likes this.
  4. Katown

Katown Member

Good to know! If we knew that then we would of went that route. We try to support local, but it was very hard to find, as newbies we didn't want to try/test different products besides what was recommended for the first viv..

5. grackle

grackle Member

I had the same thing happen. When I called FedEx to pay the invoice they were able to get the amount right so I paid it. Much that is shipped to me across the border is live plants so I'm not willing to play games putting them at risk.

6. grackle

grackle Member

7. Katown

Katown Member

8. grackle

grackle Member

It is amazing how often things fall into place just a day late. ;)

9. Katown

Katown Member

Agree!

10. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

Like Drew said Fed ex and UPS often add extra charges,I call it the gouge tax.
    I've complained to Fed ex many times It doesn't do anything....but I feel better.
    When getting stuff shipped to you from the states try to get it shipped by USPS if they do charge you extra it will be just the taxes(that you will usually pay at your door or the Post office before you get your package).

Katown I do have a ABG substrate mix available if you still need some.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    erikm likes this.
  11. Katown

Katown Member

I love this forum, all of you are so helpful! I Have enough ABG mix right now, but going forwar. I know you have it........hoping in the near future that I will get a red eyed tree frog! :):)

grackle likes this.
  12. Ashli

Ashli Contributing Member

Just s a another option, I use Understory Enterprises's vivarium substrate mix in all my tanks now. I find it to be pretty similar to the ABG (which I have in my Benedicta tank). Just another option to look into next time :)

Katown likes this.
  13. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

How much is it for how much of the substrate? Didn't see it online for sale.

14. Frogguy97

Frogguy97 New Member

Ive contemplated buying substrate online but it's much easier to buy the ingredients and just make your own sometimes

15. Ashli

Ashli Contributing Member

I believe it's 10 or 15$ for a large bag of it. I used 2 and a half bags for my 55 gallon for reference. Really good stuff. My plants love it.

16. greenoasis1

Well this is a bit of a surprise...I had a shipment of leaves come in Aug 12,today I receive a bill from Fedex for $37.99 almost two months later.( I didn't even notice that they were shipped with Fedex)
    As usual I complained,didn't expect anything to change...but ...woman on the phone ended up lowering the charge to only the GST which is $4.88.

It's always worth fighting these crazy extra charges.

Carlos and erikm like this.
  17. Katown

Katown Member

Glad you got somewhere, I'm still fighting with Josh's frogs and Amazon. Fed ex says it's Amazon who I need to talk to, Amazon says it's Josh's frogs who I need to deal with then Josh's frogs reply was it's the government who sets the price. I'm just getting more upset, it's stupid and crazy, I ordered off Amazon.ca not. Com.it was Amazon Canada who I bought it from, not the states. It's crazy and not right.

18. greenoasis1

Katown

The extra charges are from Fed Ex ..they're the only people that can change the charges.
    The extra charges are: "advancement fee" which they say is because of not having a account with Fed EX.
    The other fee is a "clearance fee "which they say is because it was shipped by ground.(if it was shipped by express Fed ex says they would have covered that fee)

Then there is the HST / GST Fee which goes to the government.

It's all gouging by Fed Ex.. nobody else.

erikm likes this.
  19. Katown

Katown Member

Thanks, I'm just going to have to suck it up and drop it, and pay it, since it's in collections now, which blows me away, for $36.10! I called the collection agency they used and it hangs up, instantly,no machine,no agent, no email address, nothing,Which makes me think this is more of a scam. Nothing makes sense. I even tried to leave a reply on Amazon. It won't post my review. I'm getting nowhere but a big red X on my credit.

20. Rosenke

Rosenke New Member

For sure. Plus, if you have to buy individual packages of the ingredients, you will probably have a bunch left over to make future batches.

Social Sharing