Well... here they are: Atelopus hoogmoedi

Discussion in 'Members Frogs & Vivariums' started by clownonfire, May 17, 2011.

1. clownonfire

clownonfire Member

So here they are. I brought home three from the six we have. We know for sure we have two males. And I am unsure about one. It is larger, it has speckles on the belly, and is larger than the two other toads. It is the first three pictures.

Interestingly too, when I handled the last one (they were only handled while transferred from the carrying case to the tank), the belly went from white to pink/purple pigmentation.

Eric
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Thomas

Thomas Member

Wow that is amazing. You are so lucky to have these. Atelopus are the only frog I've seen with purple coloration. I wasn't aware they changed color so quicly.

I hope you washed your hands after :)
    I really hope the third turns out to be female.
    Best of luck with them!

3. clownonfire

clownonfire Member

Washed before and after. And thanks for the wishes. I am building a breeding tank within the next few days. If it turns out to be a female, we'll be ready.

Here are two shots of GouletQC's (on this site) yellow colour morph.

Eric
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eric

4. frogfreak2020

frogfreak2020 Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!! :-O Never seen these guys before, are they endangered? Just asking because they look like those golden frogs from..... Nicaragua was it?

5. clownonfire

clownonfire Member

They are from the same species, yes. You are referring to the Atelopus zeteki. And you are right, they have been declared extinct in Panama. The main reason being Chytrid fungus.

As for the A. hoogmoedi, they are not many in Canada. At this point in time, I know of Alex (GouletQC) and Mark Pepper from Understory Enterprises. In the US, there is a bit more in captivity. But breeding so far has been pretty much unsuccessful.

Eric

6. Thomas

Thomas Member

From what I've read one of the toughest problems with breeding atelopus captivly is that the vast majority of wild caught specimines are male as they are easily caught along stream beds where as the females tend to stay hidden.

7. clownonfire

clownonfire Member

That's accurate. The male female ratio is 25:1. The setup is also particular as it must recreate the stream beds in which they breed. There's also death of females in captivity, either in amplexus due to starvation, or while gravid as they could not lay their eggs.

8. clownonfire

clownonfire Member

The Atelopus hoogmoedi have been transferred to a breeding tank. The 20 gallon is basically made of very large rocks, rock gravel and very little plants. There is a Fluval U2 filter in the 4/5 inches of water as water quality is of the essence. And a water circulation pump close to the rocks to simulate water streams of their breeding area. If the female is indeed a female, and she gets in amplexus with a male, I will remove the other male to prevent distraction.

Here's the what looks like the gravid female and the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eric

9. DJ

DJ Contributing Member

The toads and the set up look great! So important that the hobby gets these going on a CB, sustainable basis, otherwise we may never see them again!

Good luck, hopefully you'll get some eggs!

10. brayden

brayden Member

for WC are they eating and everything?

11. clownonfire

clownonfire Member

Thanks, DJ. I feel the same way. We are a few working with females right now. Hopefully some tads will come out of it.

Brayden: Yes, they are eating good. They want nothing to do with melanogaster, but will take the hydei (thanks for Drew for the tip of keeping a piece of fruit in the tank as the Atelopus are soooo slow and had little time to get to them before the FF climbed).

They have been in our care since May 2. They have also fed on phoenix worms, even if those are not native to their natural environment. Their behaviour is encouraging. I am treating one for nose rub (mostly due to being introduced to two new tanks in the past month and rubbing).

Eric

12. clownonfire

clownonfire Member

DJ, Shawn Harrington (sports_doc on forums) has introduced his Atelopus in a breeding tank a week ago and his female laid eggs yesterday!! Thought I should let you know...

[​IMG]

Eric

13. DJ

DJ Contributing Member

Saw this on Dendroboard ... great to see! Now its your turn :-w

First in line for toadlets :D

14. clownonfire

clownonfire Member

Yeah, they hijacked my thread!! ;)

And since you asked.... Came back home to this today....

E.

[​IMG]

15. DJ

DJ Contributing Member

NICE! O**O

Guess there's little doubt you've got a female :))

16. clownonfire

clownonfire Member

It never really went into amplexus. The top one moved away a few minutes after. Like Seth Doty, I think they wanted the same spot on the higher leaf.

17. GouletQC

GouletQC Member

I put mine into a breeding tank few days back and i'll notice no special breeding behavior. I will replace them into their ''official'' tank tomorrow...

..but when all the frogs we got where together, I heard and see them calls... ;)

I'm honored to work with a species like that. First time I saw them was in a ''Biosphere'' magazine few years back when I was kid; now i feed them everyday!

18. clownonfire

clownonfire Member

So after two weeks in the breeding tank, I have moved everyone back in the housing tank. The 2 males were after the female who was not interested, either because she's too young, of because she's a male. We'll know next breeding season, or perhaps before if I can study closely enough the toads' behaviour in the housing tank.

This will give me enough time next breeding season to rebuild the breeding tank making sure this time around there are diatoms for potential tadpoles.

Eric

Social Sharing