Waterproofing a water feature in terrarium

Discussion in 'Vivarium General' started by Niko1e, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Niko1e

Niko1e New Member

Hi all!

I am building my first bioactive vivarium for my dumpy tree frogs! I’ve probably bitten more than I can chew with this one haha, but it’s coming along slowly but surely...annnyways I made a waterfall, ending in a pond using styrofoam with a layer of spray foam on top.. I’m planning to grout/paint the waterfall part but I’m not sure exactly what to seal it with to waterproof it.. I’ve purchased LePage professional epoxy but then read online it is not good for anything in direct contact with water or submerged.. would clear silicone be a better option or both? I just want to make sure I don’t use anything toxic and I want to make sure I do this right because I’m only doing it once! There are so many things to factor in!

Progress thus far! :) (Photo apparently not working)

[​IMG]https://flic.kr/p/23SnBza

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. Dendromad

Dendromad Contributing Member

Skip the grout and paint and get Drylock and add in some acrylic paint to color to choice and it will seal and paint in one.

41714049 likes this.
  3. Niko1e

Niko1e New Member

Thank you, I’ll look into that! Would be nice to skip a step... Do you happen to know of anywhere to buy drylock locally? Wish it came in smaller cheaper cans haha.. I’ve been looking at verathane as a cheaper option, then possibly siliconing where the water flows for extra protection.. decisions, decisions :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  4. Dendromad

Dendromad Contributing Member

5. Niko1e

Niko1e New Member

Almost done! :) finally figured out how the photos work! Haha [​IMG]

Social Sharing