Vancouver Island - Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dr.Monkeyspanker, Jun 13, 2018.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Dr.Monkeyspanker

Dr.Monkeyspanker New Member

Hi I'm Pete,
    This is will be my very first Vivarium attempt.
    Exo terra 18x18x24.
    So far I've put a nice glass top with a 1.5" air vent in front.
    I'm gonna use lava rock in the drainage layer. (I have buckets of it)
    I plan on hand misting until I'm feel it's all working then perhaps upgrade to a mistking system down the road.
    I don't have a PDF species in mind because I'm going to see what is locally available when the time comes. I don't plan on any animals for quite a while until I'm happy with my tank. I will probably use my existing t5 lights (I keep planted aquariums) for now and upgrade to LED eventually.
    For my background, I've found some really nice pieces of Douglas fir bark that I'll use as well as Great Stuff plus some interesting wind fallen branches that have been well weathered.
    My plans for plants will be to hit up local members and acquire clippings where I can. I'll play with local mosses and wild caught isopods and springtails to see if I have any success.
    I'm not going for any water features but I do want to incorporate a fogger because they look really cool.
    One last hurdle for me is going to be a suitable soil. I'm hoping that a local member here with a bunch of vivs might have an abundance that he might be able to sell me. I've only got the space for one vivarium so I'm trying to avoid buying a bunch of materials to mix my own.
    Anyways nice to meet you and thanks for having me. Please critique anything here you don't agree with. I've got thick skin and can handle all criticism thrown my way.

Cheers from up highway 14.
    Pete

2. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

Hey pete!

I live in Victoria, and may be of service.. hehe.

There are a few of us in town, and Im sure someone would be able to help you out with plants frogs feedersetc when the timecomes.

I reallylike the 18 18 24s. my favourites are the thumbnails, especially in that size viv. they will use the space well.

I can probably help you out on many fronts - if your free on the 21st of june, send me a PM. I am frequently busy, and that is my only day that I MAY have time..

3. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to Canadart! Interesting name ;)

4. Dr.Monkeyspanker

Dr.Monkeyspanker New Member

Its a gamertag the dates back to the early days of Xbox hahaha

Social Sharing