Update on regs in BC.

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by snakemaster, Apr 28, 2008.

1. snakemaster

snakemaster Member

Re: (Banned frogs in BC) Controlled alien species

Well it would seem we are making a little progress the MOE is going to hold another meeting with the breeders of the snakes to rework some of the species listed . So if you want to get the darts removed from the list send in lots of emails to barry.penner.mla@leg.bc.ca and to ControlledAlienSpecies@gov.bc.ca
    fill their inboxes and maybe you can get the dart frogs removed. explain about the toxins, how wild caught has not happened since 1985, only captive bred are in captivity.

2. Frogkeeper

Frogkeeper Member

It seems that the BC government has just instituted a copy of the Alberta Government controlled species ban. I am sorry for those I offend but I do believe in banning of many species including large species of snakes and even tortoises. Being a zookeeper and working in a zoo it seems that we get offered surrenders that we just cannot take all the time. We have even received confiscated exotic mammals like a lemur and fennec fox. What happens alot of the time is that some idiot goes off and buys a anaconda to show off to his friends has it for a couple of years tires of it and tries to get rid of it. Or they dont really know how big it gets. All our reptiles except for one snake at our zoo are surrenders which does include our sulcata tortoises, red foot tortoises, burmese python, reticulated python, and red tail boa just to name a few. I believe that the phylobates may just be lumped in by copying Albertas legislation. I also believe that the exotic animal legislation is a good thing (though somewhat flawed) because prior to this you could own an elephant, tiger, or chimpanzee in your backyard in BC without any permits.

3. Shade71

Shade71 Member

The answer to this is probably in here somewhere (I'm just to lazy to look right now).
    Was the "BC Reptile Club" involved in consultations for crafting this legislation?
    MoE confirmed for me today that they were included but I thought I read somewhere they weren't.
    Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks.

4. Brock

Brock Contributing Member

We were not included. At all.

We were promised to be, but, well,

you know government and promises! O**O

5. Shade71

Shade71 Member

Thanks Brock.

I had asked the MoE if there was any public consultation done before the ban.
    They told me...
    "Members of the BC Reptile Club were involved in consultations as were members of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) Canada, BC Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums (CAZA). There were also a number of public consultations regarding the Controlled Alien Species regulation during the Wildlife Act review process".

6. Shade71

Shade71 Member

Just to follow up my previous post, I contacted both PIJAC and CAZA.

PIJAC does not recommend the banning of any amphibians.

CAZA said they were consulted only about Zoo accreditation programs etc. They had no input on the species included on the list.

I didn't bother contacting the BCSPCA since I'm pretty sure their opinion is that the list of banned species is not nearly extensive enough.

7. snakemaster

snakemaster Member

Banned frogs in BC/Alberta - Controlled alien species

Schedule B

1 Section 3 of the Controlled Alien Species Regulations is repealed and the following substituted:
    Possession
    3 A person must not possess a species individual unless the person holds a permit authorizing the possession of that species individual.
    2 Section 4 (2) is amended by striking out “or” at the end of paragraph(a), by adding “,and” at the end of paragraph (b) and by adding the following paragraph:
    ( c ) the breeding is in accordance with a management plan approved by a regional manager.
    3 The following section is added:
    5.1 A person must not ship or transport in British Columbia a species individual unless the person holds a permit authorizing the shipping or transportation of the species individual.
    4 Section 6 ( 1 ) is amended by adding the following paragraph:
    ( d ) section 5.1

8. Malli

Malli Contributing Member

translation? :D

9. snakemaster

snakemaster Member

Call 1-250-356-7183 and ask for an explanation.

10. Brock

Brock Contributing Member

You need a permit to breed, under the discretion of a regional manager who you have to see to make a 'breeding plan' with.

You need a permit to transport the animals...anywhere. Even to the vet apparently.

11. Malli

Malli Contributing Member

oh well that sounds annoying to say the least.

12. Kwazarr

Kwazarr Contributing Member

But again, this only refers to the 3 dart species named in the Act - terriblis, bicolor, and aurotaenia - not all darts. It does make it inconvenient for those who do keep and breed those species though!

13. web wheeler

web wheeler New Member

(Banned frogs in BC/Alberta)

The CAS list bans all of the genus Phyllobates, including Phyllobates lugubris and Phyllobates vittatus.

Please contact:

Barry Penner, BC Minister of Environment
    BC MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT
    PO Box 9047 STN PROV GOVT, Victoria, BC V8W 9E2
    env.minister@gov.bc.ca
    1-250-387-1187 (direct number)
    1-250-387-1356 (fax)

and politely suggest that only Phyllobates aurotaenia, Phyllobates bicolor and Phyllobates terribilis are included on the CAS list.

14. Shade71

Shade71 Member

Social Sharing