Update on regs in BC.

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by snakemaster, Apr 28, 2008.

1. snakemaster

snakemaster Member

(Banned frogs in BC/Alberta) Controlled alien species

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We as a group must prepare the worst case senario in the case of this law in regards to" controlled alien species" just think of what it would be like if all species became controlled whereas you were not allowed to breed your animals. Read the law in bill 29 it says they can do this. no more exotic animals "Alien species "at all. Please join PIJAC Canada to stop this from happening call your MLA in BC.
    6.5 (1) The minister may, by regulation, regulate, prohibit and impose requirements in relation to the following:
    (a) the possession of a species individual of a controlled alien species;
    (b) the breeding of controlled alien species;
    (c) the release of a species individual of a controlled alien species;
    (d) trafficking in species individuals of a controlled alien species;
    (e) the shipping or transporting in British Columbia of, or the engaging of another person to ship or transport in British Columbia, a species individual of a controlled alien species.
    (2) In making regulations under subsection (1), the minister may do one or more of the following:
    (a) define classes of controlled alien species;
    (b) make different regulations for different controlled alien species or classes of controlled alien species;
    (c) delegate a matter to a person;
    (d) confer a discretion on a person.
    This is happening right now here in BC. this will affect you in particular as all you out there with these beautiful little frogs are on the list just because your frogs have the name "poison" in it. You must call : Chris Hamilton at the ministry of environment to see how this will affect you his number is 1-250-356-0830 you can also read about this law at the BC legislator website
    http://www.leg.bc.ca it is located under docs & proceedings bill # 29
    Environmental (Species and Public Protection) Statutes Amendment Act, 2008 (Bill 29)
    this bill will affect all of us that keeps any type of non-native species of animal in canada. sign the petition on this i gave a copy to Marty A. for distribution. we must act now on this.

2. craig

craig Contributing Member

Re: Just think about this !

yea they do bans and try, i think you have alien species a little blured mabey
    i read the new amendments to bill 29 {search alien species after bill 29 search} there is no mention what so ever on reptiles or pet trade ampibs
    i think the directive here is more for stuff that can out compeate or natural wildlife , check out this http://www.cbin.ec.gc.ca/issues/ias.cfm?lang=e
    if im off base or wrong on any more info is out there please link it or post it
    craig
    ps those are just admendments to the bill already in place 2004

3. snakemaster

snakemaster Member

Re: Just think about this !

The ministry of enviromnent will be creating the "list" later after the regulation part passes into law.
    Well the I read the law or any law the government creates they seem to always use simular wording as in "they may raise taxes" , so this is why i think we have to stand together just in case after all if we prepare for the worst anything above that would not be so shocking or so bad. So I plan on going to the BCSPCA symposium on May 28 & 29/08 this in Vancouver so that i will be more imformed on exactically what will happen.
    If you read the submission put forward by the BCSPCA what did they ask for

Page 6 Be prohibited to breed or traffick the animal(s) in their possession.
    Page 7 To futher ensure effective regulation of exotic species to prohibit in-province in-tansit and out-of-province transport of exotic animals.

what did the gov't put into bill 29
    (a) the possession of a species individual of a controlled alien species;
    (b) the breeding of controlled alien species;
    (c) the release of a species individual of a controlled alien species;
    (d) trafficking in species individuals of a controlled alien species;
    (e) the shipping or transporting in British Columbia of, or the engaging of another person to ship or transport in British Columbia, a species individual of a controlled alien species.

The only difference is the wording in calling exotic animals by the BCSPCA To controlled alien species by the Gov't ...

in 6.4 If the minister considers that a non-native species described in paragraph (a) or (b) of the definition of "species" poses a risk to the health or safety of any person or poses a risk to property, wildlife or wildlife habitat, the minister may make regulations designating the species as a controlled alien species.

Lets see non-native species are not from BC. exotic animals Are not from BC. so to me the meaning is exactically the same just a small change of words.
    On the BCSPCA submission you can look up that they have asked to prohibit all venomous invertebrates thats over 9000 species.
    they also asked to prohibit all turtles ,tortoises,pythons ,boas,monitors,crocodillia .

4. snakemaster

snakemaster Member

Bill 29 the new law for BC.

Well the push is on to ban all exotic animals here in bc. i talked to the spca and moe. and most definatly any animal that is poisonous or toxic in any way will be on the list to be banned. is anyone going to the spca symposium in vancouver may 28-29 to see what is going on ??????????

5. Tsunami

Tsunami Contributing Member

Re: Bill 29 the new law for BC.

How crappy is this law.

PDF are not poisonous when captive so they could be skipped in the list.
    It's not like a viper or a cayman.

Lovebirds are exotic. Budgies too. Many aquarium fishes are wild caught. I don't see a petshop without budgies or fishes.

It seems to be a law that was pushed by uneducated people that don't want to deal with more specific laws.

I really agree to ban vipers,tigers,ospreys as pets. Not small little frogs that, if are wild caught, needs to be swallowed. Based on that POV, we should ban pills, cleaning products, etc

6. frognut

frognut New Member

Re: Bill 29 the new law for BC.

Typical political crap!

If they are worried about venomous introduced species then they might want to look at the honey bee. Why are bee keepers not liable for any of the damages cause by their animals? A human death here or there is ok in this scenario because big business depends on it.

If they are worried about the impact of exotics then why not ban the domestic cat. They get to wander the landscape killing wildlife unabated.

There always seems to be two sets of rules!

7. snakemaster

snakemaster Member

BC. Symposium highlights May 29/08

It is vital that PIJAC attend all of these Symposiums and information sessions to further our visibility, make connections and allow those to hear our point of view in a non confrontational situation.
    Taking BC as an example of what is to come in all areas of the country, it was very positive to note that in a province most known for very vociferous opposition to the Pet Industry…….the Government acted in a very reasonable and balanced manner. The BCSPCA got their new law…..but lost the power to enforce it…..and we now have the opportunity to work with the government closely to fill in the blanks in the law and formulate the Regulations that will give it “ teeth”
    Our involvement will include the species involved, the category which they are placed in and possible advice with regards to risk analysis.
    Some contacts were made during the day and these will come to be very useful when the time comes. I spoke with gov’t officials after the meeting and thanked them for the opportunity to work with them…….and they are very aware of the pressure from “animal activists” and very willing to accept our expertise on much of this……with no desires to “ reinvent the wheel” if what we have is suitable.
    Everyone that I spoke with received our line on education with the offer to use our CASP program to educate those in enforcement of the new law.
    We as an Organization have to remain vigilant and visible across the country. We went into this dossier with little information and by acting professionally and offering science based responses…appear to have convinced those responsible….to see both sides and work with Industry and activists alike to compose fair and enforceable regulations.
    It should be noted that the “ talking notes “ that were provided to me for this symposium were invaluable and will be distributed to the Directors for their use in similar situations.

For your consideration
    Got this from PIJAC

8. snakemaster

snakemaster Member

carbon tax money

I just had this thought for all you British Columbian alien species keepers out there what i am wondering is how will you be spending your Carbon Tax Refund Cheque that all of us here in BC. will be getting in the near future. Here is my challenge to you the alien species keepers and breeders --- take your $100.00 cheque that the kind BC. government sends you and use this free money to buy a membership in PIJAC Canada to help fight the changes in the law that will soon affect us all that is absolutely everyone that keeps alien species in BC. In this way not only do you get a membership with the only organization that is willing to stand up for us in the exotic animal community but the government will pay for it. Please consider doing this. Unless anyone out there has any other ideas to make sure we will be able to continue keeping the fascinating animals that makes life worthwhile.

9. snakemaster

snakemaster Member

Been a while since on here

hey everyone i just found out some possible information about the new regulations in BC canada looks like there will be some poison dart frog species will be on the resricted list. call or e-mail Chris.Hamilton@gov,bc.ca
    for more info.

10. Kwazarr

Kwazarr Contributing Member

Re: Been a while since on here

I emailed him and he said that the list is not yet finalized and that we should check back him in a month or so.

Ross.

11. sNApple

sNApple Contributing Member

Re: Controlled alien species

id like to see a draft of the list...

12. MartyA

MartyA Contributing Member

Im not waiting for a finalized list, ive emailed him as well.

13. sNApple

so say we have a banned species, will we be getting a knock on the door?

i just saw on an american fish forum, wildlife officers are tracking down people, knocking on doors and demanding to see what people have bought off online auctions, like snails etc... so if big brother is watching down south, ill bet there watching this forum too... so should i start deleting posts of mine? ive spent alot of money and im not willing to hand frogs over for nothing....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/loung ... nails.html

14. MartyA

I emailed Chris a science journal and an explanation defending our frogs. In the email he sent me he said the only non invasive amphibians they were talking about were "poison arrow frogs", not specifically Phyllobates, Dendrobates, Epipedobates etc...

As for deleting posts... We'll see what frogs actually do get banned.

BTW Thank you Gord for keeping up with this. I am pulling 2 jobs, university and a collection, its just too much for me to do much more right now.

15. Dendromad

Dendromad Contributing Member

16. snakemaster

snakemaster Member

17. sNApple

Re: BC exotics list is out

Amphibians

* Species Phyllobates aurotaenia – [kokoe poison arrow frog]
    * Species Phyllobates bicolour – [two-toned poison arrow frog]
    * Species Phyllobates terribilis – [golden poison arrow frog]
    BANNED! WOW

If you own these frogs and have posted pictures of them, DELETE EVERYTHING

DELETE NOW

no doubt there are higher ups watching the forum, ive seen it happen in the states on fish forums.

18. Shade71

Shade71 Member

I feel sick.
    Though I guess it's good they can be 'grandfathered' in, they didn't go totally gestapo.

19. sNApple

20. MartyA

Only 3 phyllobates... lugubris here I come.

Im not sure what gave them the impression that these three were dangerous and the other phyllobates were safe (assuming they are going off of literature they would have read the non toxic potential for all phyllobates).

Anyways, I did what I could do. Ill put together another argument after this semester is over.

Its quite funny actually the list they assembled, im not going to go into detail here though.

Social Sharing