The Ugly Sister

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by GermanEdam, Oct 6, 2017.

1. GermanEdam

GermanEdam Member

Hello, My name is Erik and I have created a 150 gallon vivarium that I have replicated around Justin Grimm's peninsula, I have used all of his methods and this is what I came up with. The driftwood is different because my budget did not allow me to import or look for a showpiece of ghostwood, instead I used a stump of mangrove. If anyone is interested I would be pleased to show the building process. IMG_4461.jpg

2. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

looks cool. what frogs are you putting in there?

3. GermanEdam

GermanEdam Member

At the moment I have two leucomelas, I will be thinking of adding two more..

4. highvoltagerob

highvoltagerob Member

I think it looks great. I'd be interested in seeing your build pics! What are the dimensions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. GermanEdam

GermanEdam Member

Sorry for not uploading in a while, school has been very busy.. I will hopefully be uploading more pictures on the weekend. At the moment I am pretty disappointed on how it looks, I think some more moss and horizontal vines/Lianas would help. I do however like the fact that every time I look at it, I discover a new species of moss, vine, fern or insect. Today I found some sort of species of grey/ purple spring tail. If anyone knows what kind it is that would be great! Again sorry for not uploading, I am also on track of a new project.
    IMG_5728.JPG

6. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

Did you get any native moss from a forest in your area or did you introduce anything new to the tank? I have seen spring tails like this before but they were a little more black in colour jumping around in the snow in the Ganaraska Forest just north east of the GTA. On line they are called snow fleas and here is what they look like
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics are from the internet.

The ones I used to see look like this bottom pic. That is why I asked if you introduced something new to the tank? For sure as you said they are spring tails but curious to see where they came from. Try and culture them if you can get enough together.

Ron.

7. GermanEdam

GermanEdam Member

I have never not added any native or outside plants before, I haven't had to.. my Schultz spaghum peat background is seeming to grow all sorts of things. In person those spring tails look slightly different than snow fleas. I will attempt to culture them soon!

8. GermanEdam

GermanEdam Member

* Never added*
    it is 48 by 24 by 30

Social Sharing