The Arena Blanca That Survived The Flames

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by Erik, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Erik

Erik Member

So I wanted to share our last months experiences with eveyone to show just how amazing these little animals are. One month ago, we were evacuated from Fort McMurray because of the Forrest fires. We both work south of town, so when we got the notice to evacuate, we tried to get back into town so we could get some personal papers, rescue the frog, and take some coral out of our reef tank. Unfortunately, by the time we got back to town, the flames were all the way across the highway, so we were unable to retrieve anything from our home, and headed south to wait out the fire. After one month, on the 2nd, we were finally able to return to our home to assess the damage. Expecting the worst, after a full month with no food or misting (the reservoir for the mister only lasts about 10 days), we had assumed that we would be returning to a dead Viv and frog. As soon as we got into the house, the first thing I did was open the front door and manually mist the tank heavily. After pulling a couple handfuls of dead plants out, and continuous misting, up out of the substrate, rises our little Arena Blanca. He had buried himself into the sub to stay hydrated and had dug up a lot of it to hunt springs and iso's. He was very skinny, but immediately came out to see if we were feeding him. We packed up our entire condo, and moved all of our non damaged stuff back down to Calgary. Once we were here, we were able to make a run down to Jungle Jewel Exotics to pick up flies, springs, and pods to stock up the tank that he had cleared out. Dawn and Lucas are such great people that they actually gave us the fly cultures for free and told us "after him surviving something like that, his first meal has to be on us". So we wanted to thank them again, jungle jewel is absolutely the best, and love all their animals. It has been 5 days now, and luckily our beautiful little arena Blanca is fattening back up! I had to share this experience with everyone, we are absolutely blown away at how incredible these little animals are.
    [​IMG]
    We were in the process of making a new 18x18x18 Viv for some new frogs, but after this ordeal, we decided that the new big tank, will be for this little guy and 2 more friends. We think he deserves it!

jridge, stephwrigs, bbjoeys and 10 others like this.
  2. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

Absolutely amazing story. Thank you for sharing.

Dawn

Erik likes this.
  3. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Wow that's quite the story! Glad you, your family, your pets and your home are safe!

Erik likes this.
  4. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

Wow. Can't believe everything you guys have gone through.

Erik likes this.
  5. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Great Story...these frogs we all keep are pretty resilient

Erik likes this.
  6. Ethan A

Ethan A Contributing Member

Great story! Amazing how the little guy survived! I'm so glad you guys had a home to come home to.

Erik and Carlos like this.
  7. Alpha Reptile

Alpha Reptile Member

Amazing to hear man! By chance are you the guy that shops at pisces??

8. Erik

Erik Member

We live in Airdrie so I swing by Pisces quite often yep!

9. Alpha Reptile

Alpha Reptile Member

Right on! I'm Mike, I think we may have talked a couple times haha said let me know if you need any plants for a potential new build

Erik likes this.
  10. Erik

Erik Member

11. bbjoeys

bbjoeys Contributing Member

Oh my gosh I got all teary reading that! So happy he made it! Good for you Erik! What a story! Are you going to name him Flame? Did the flames reach your home?

12. Dusharm72

Dusharm72 New Member

Amazing story.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

13. pygmycory

pygmycory Member

Wow. That is a pretty amazing story. I'm so glad it turned out well for your frog. Thank you for sharing.

Social Sharing