terribilis: mixing with other species of any animals? Ponds?

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by FwoGiZ, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FwoGiZ

FwoGiZ Contributing Member

I am going to start my living room display very soon and am brainstorming the design of the tank. I will be making a nice build journal btw so stay posted!! 4x3x2 180gal tank!
    I will have 4x orange black foot, 3x mint and 2 yellow in there! Rest assured, no offspring will be kept. But then again, rest assured, those black foot are gonna get into a breeding tank if I ever see em going around with tadpoles haha! ;)

Please do not pollute my thread with flaming! I have been in this hobby for a while, I've tried several things, some worked, some didn't and I am fully able to monitor real well my animals. I won't even go on with why and how I know what I am doing as this is unimportant but to all you newbies reading this, just understand that I have several years or experience, and I have been running an exotic pet refuge for 5 years now. I wouldn't advise anyone to try any of what is going to be said in this thread, because it has absolutely no "pros" other than for our own eyes.

BUT
    If you wanna share your EXPERIENCES, or KNOWLEDGE, well this is exactly why I created that thread so please share the wealth! I think we all know now, that it is actually possible, specially with such big tank and experienced keeper to have mixing done without "cons" either! Obviously it gets harder when something happens but I'll remind you I am running an exotic pet refuge... I have several empty vivarium ready at all times and will actually be keeping the vivariums that the frogs are currently in, empty just in case, because as of now, they're separated.

Terribilis and auratus? Auratus are very shy... most of the time hiding...while the terribs would be in the open but I am worried they might not even come out anymore because of the high activity of the terribs. Anyone ever tryed that combo?

Terribs and small arboreal lizards? diurnal or nocturnal?

What about terribs and a pond where I could have some killifishes or maybe danios or any other cheap tough fishes? If I am going to do fishes, the tank will have a big sump btw.
    Are terribs known to stupidly drown? Would they be able to get out with plants/branches accross the water?

Terribs and treefrogs? If I can find small/med sized treefrogs that won't mess the glass, and stay in the foliage/branches, that could be quite interesting too!

Any other ideas?

Anyways, waiting for you guys reply because like I said, still am in the brainstorming process.

On that, I will go start making a small video as an intro to my journal!

Thanks in advance for your advice/expertise!

2. MarkB

MarkB Member

I'f you're so 'experienced' why are you seeking suggestion?

3. FwoGiZ

Facepalm... I never thought I'd get useless shitty comment on this board before dendroboard.
    Next?

4. MarkB

MarkB Member

What were you expecting? Seriously....?

5. FwoGiZ

Dude I am soooo sincerely sorry you felt offended by my O' so bragging.
    Here's a tissue. Now if you could just not look at this thread anymore, it won't hurt your feelings anymore!
    please stop the thread pollution... or can those posts just be deleted? Seriously...

6. MarkB

MarkB Member

I believe I can view anything I want. This is as much mine as it is yours. Unless there is something I don't know.

With all your wisdom would you say is a good idea to fornicate with a chimpanzee? I mean we are both primates and all...

7. vrausse

vrausse Member

In my experience all tree frogs love to mess the glass up. So you might want to rethink tree frogs. I have kept 4 different species and they all loved messing up the glass. I hear electric blue geckos house well with darts.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

8. Scarloc

Scarloc Contributing Member

I think the fact that FwoGiz is actively researching and asking already shows a certain amount of experience. The only way to get experience also is to make mistakes and screw up. I try not to do this at my pets expense myself but I would really screw something like this up. Personally I would not mix the mints and yellows because there is no way you stop them from breeding or find all the eggs.

9. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

What about a small aboreal thumb? That might work well as long as the Terribs dont see them as food.

Or go check out the zoo...they often mix species!

10. FwoGiZ

It's really easy to just not let the offspring survive... I don't see that as a problem at all. Like I am saying, if I do see eggs tho, I will move the orange black foot in a separate tank for sure because I do want to breed those. Also, no petri dish will make it hard for em to want to breed because of no decent deposit sites for eggs.

Electric blue gecko!! What a great idea... It's funny because geckos really are my second favorite animals and I already have Golden, Green day and Gold dust geckos! Electric blue is on my wanted list and I would also think they would cohabit in such a tank. I would have to make sure I can easyly reach in the tank without em escaping tho haha

Some guy on db has terribs with Lepidodactylus lugubris which looks like an interesting gecko too. I'll have to check it out.

I would be scared the terribs would try and eat the ranis if they come closer to ground, no?

11. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

A couple suggestions. Lygodactilus Williamsi would be an awesome choice. So would phelsuma klammeri if you can find them. I also lone the reticulated glass frogs. Absolutely gorgeous tree frog and quite small too. And quiet. Mixing two types of glocs I'm not a fan of but I have had some success mixing ameeriga with other frogs. They seem very unagresive even toward their own species.

Dawn

FwoGiZ likes this.
  12. Bronson

Bronson Member

I've hear that mourning geckos mix well with darts.

13. Bronson

Bronson Member

On YouTube search up 180 gallon leucomelas vivarium you might get some ideas. :)

FwoGiZ likes this.
  14. Dendromad

Dendromad Contributing Member

We have 4 in with a boa constrictor. They like to "ride" her around the exhibit! I'm also going to be setting up an exhibit soon with terribilis and most likely some Apistogramma sp.

15. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

Terribs will try to eat anything they can fit into their mouths. Keep that in mind when choosing tank mates for them.

Also, even though you don't like someone's opinion, you still posted to a public forum so you have respect their right to disagree with you.

I personally would shy away from purchasing any frogs kept in a tank like that. You state that you plan to breed some of them and not others, when the truth is you will have no way to know which frogs are breeding with which once they are in that tank.

If you plan to cull all offspring, no big deal. But I know lots of folks who would have an issue buying potentially hybrid frogs. Not trying to be adversarial - you know how the hobby in general feels about this issue though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinkjello likes this.
  16. FwoGiZ

I just checked that 180 gal leuc viv... I realllly love the pond area!!! It just convinced me to make one.. I just hope it won't be too much work to keep clean! I would think with the sump it should be alright.

Dendromad... not sure I am following you!! What do you have with the boa?

Mike, did you even read my post? You obviously missed the part where I am stating that I will be removing the frogs from that tank if I wanna breed em... I have SEVERAL empty tanks running at all time, ready to have new frogs whenever needed but I am just repeating myself here. I should actually start selling some of those vivarium so I can build others because that's what I really like apparently.

The kid doesn't really have an "opinion"... he's merely causing drama and being an overall asshole (even on DB) but my question is, is it too much to ask that if you are gonna post, well might as well make it useful and constructive... apparently I am asking for the moon

17. Bronson

Bronson Member

I think With that size if tank you could use a filter and if the waters circulating it should be fine.

18. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

I think people have "learned" that mixing is "wrong" for preservation of the species. I understand where they are coming from however I also think that after you have prefaced your post asking for constructive conversation and that you are aware of the risks and some peoples opinions, we should respect that and offer constructive comments.

Although I don't share your desire to mix species different types of frog, I certain ally commend you for asking for advice and not hiding for fear of the harsh comments and opinions that people have. God knows I am sure there are many froggers out there that have done the same thing you are attempting. Most are just not open about it.

FwoGiZ likes this.
  19. FwoGiZ

I wish my english was as good as yours, or just that I was as diplomatic as you are.
    I mustn't be that bad tho if at least one person understood 100% of the meaning of this thread! Thanks for "clarifying" !
    I have had those yellow terribs for 5 years and the mints for 2 years and no breeding ever happened yet, but if it ever happened, culling off the hybrid frogs is obviously the only normal thing to do rendering that argument for not mixing invalid, imo.

Bronson, the vivarium will literally have a sump and I am thinking around 5-6 inches of water in the pond area and maybe 2 in the falsebottom area since I will be siliconing a piece of glass to seperate both parts but I have yet to figure this out. How would the water from the pond area overflow into the sump/false bottom?

Another major thing I gotta figure out is the fact that the tank is 3feet wide.. won't go thru a doorway!! I have to flip the tank 90degrees to move it from the garage to the living room...plus 4 person needed... something I figured out AFTER I bought the tank :( 4x2x2 would have been better.... but oh well
    my builds are usually very solid so let's hope everything is alright! Don't wanna have to cure silicone and glue in my living room/kitchen/dining room!

As it is now, couple people have successfully housed small geckos/fishes with big darts. So I will keep looking for successes and find out what they all have in common and make it happen!

20. pinkjello

pinkjello Contributing Member

I have heard of snakes sharing terrariums with frogs - do snakes not eat frogs? I would have thought that snakes would eat anything that moves around them?? That would scare me a bit I think having those two types of animals in the same cage together. I would also like to mention that Im not really enjoying this post for the simple reason of the sarcasm that I am seeing from the owner of this thread..so if that could stop I think this would be a really good post to learn from...

dawndj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Social Sharing