Starting my viv build and some frog pics...

Discussion in 'Members Frogs & Vivariums' started by h2osanity, Jun 8, 2012.

1. h2osanity

h2osanity Contributing Member

I have assembled all the stuff I need for the viv build, just waiting to pick up springtails on the weekend. I decided to start with the build today.
    Cork in place
    IMG_0044.JPG

Foam divider for water reservoir
    IMG_0043.JPG

I am finding that taking pictures of frogs is a little different than fish. For one thing, they have less patience than fish ;) These guys have just started coming out full time when I am in the room. I saw all of them within a minute of feeding today. And it's not like they are starving...

Fatty frog

IMG_0048.JPG

Climbing
    IMG_0051.JPG

2. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Great Looking Frogs...Those are next on my list

3. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

Nice start. I'll be following along on your build. ;)

4. h2osanity

I'm borrowing a lot of ideas for my first build. Trial and error without too many errors I hope ;) I have strict orders from the boss to make sure we can see into it from 3 sides for display purposes (in the livingroom) or else I would be covering the sides as well. I can see me making some magnetic plant pots for the sides though for more climbing spaces.. I am also eventually going to have a misting system so have planned for that as well.

My background in fish wants me to put in a small powerhead under the hydroton to keep the water circulating so there are no dead spots but from what I am reading here it doesn't seem to be an issue? Any thoughts? Does the upwards wicking evaporation action of the hydroton eliminate dead spots? Or is it strictly housekeeping?

5. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

Nice cork! I love the tubes - they are so versatile for backgrounds and hardscaping.

As far as water circulation goes - I use straight up Turface in most of my builds, which is even more compacted than hydroton. I don't think you will have any problems.

Good luck!

6. h2osanity

Okay so simpler is better, no powerhead. ;) Picked up springtails today-thanks Pete!
    Foamed and carved.
    IMG_0055.JPG

stephwrigs likes this.
  7. h2osanity

So I hit a bump in the road waiting for a suitable stand for the display. It's in the works but life is getting busy. Summer just started and I am looking forward to the fall already ;) I am not finishing the viv until I move it finally to the display location to minimize the chance of dropping it or breaking anything. It will be fairly heavy (being glass) after the soil and water is added.

My Mist King misting system is here waiting to be hooked up once things get closer to be finished. I am still waiting on my custom drilled acrylic top so that I can replace my screen top. I have to get on my contractor about that (my hubby ;) )

This is the viv background with holes for plants, ledges for frogs, cork for broms, roots and peat covering... any constructive feedback would be great.

IMG_0008.jpg

stephwrigs and frogfreak like this.
  8. h2osanity

IMG_0013.jpg Found a stand at an LFS for half price, hubby insisted we buy it as his construction spare time is limited and we want to get this thing moving. Then stopped at a specialty nursery and picked up some more viv plants. Selaginella, pilea, a rather large fern (which may or may not get used as it looked smaller in the store ;) ) So now planting can begin. I am so excited! IMG_0011.jpg

9. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Sweet

10. frogfreak

Looking good!

11. h2osanity

So I added the emersed semi aquatic plants today. The springtails and a good starter white worm culture were added yesterday. I hope to get the frogs moved into this new home after the long weekend. Just waiting for the final touches on the acrylic top and the Mist King mister installation.

IMG_0020 (3).JPG

IMG_0018 (2).JPG

stephwrigs likes this.
  12. bbjoeys

bbjoeys Contributing Member

Hi H20sanity, nice to see you here! I am bristlenose on the kwas forum. Great viv and frogs! I have a waterfall in our setup and love it!

13. h2osanity

Hey Sowmya! Nice to see you here too. :) I was going to do a waterfall but most of the forums and websites say no..so I didn't :D
    I did get a nice misting system so will update when that is all hooked up as well.

14. frogfreak

It looks great! Nice job. ;)

15. h2osanity

Heat has become an issue. I haven't installed the frogs yet, waiting until after the misting system which was done yesterday. I did notice however that the vivarium has a lit temperature around 84-86F. I am waiting to get a computer fan and then will have to install it into the top of the lid.

The humidity is staying around 95% which is an issue as the whole thing is misted with condensation. Will this situation improve with the air circulation provided by the fan?

I could move it to the window and use ambient lighting but some of the plants might not like it as much...

16. h2osanity

Moved over the frogs today. Within minutes they were climbing all over exploring. One climbed to the top to see what he could see. One decided to hide stubbornly in the driftwood and not come out (I would like to remove the driftwood permanently) and the others were exploring vigorously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stephwrigs likes this.
  17. frogfreak

I like the driftwood and I bet they will too. :) Looking good! Now they will need a few weeks to settle in.

Cheers

18. highvoltagerob

highvoltagerob Member

I also think the driftwood looks good there, it makes a nice hide for them!

h2osanity likes this.
  19. h2osanity

Ok, the ayes have it, I will put it back in. :)

highvoltagerob and frogfreak like this.
  20. stephwrigs

stephwrigs Member

Looks like a lot of your plants are kinds I've seen in flower shops (I used to be a florist). Do you plant them in the viv with their current soil? Wash them well first to rid of pesticides?

Love your build by the way!!! Giving me lots of ideas for my first........is that spagmum and Spanish moss? Would it be possible to get a plant list for ideas?
    Thanks, Steph

Social Sharing