Stand Build

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by TheForSaken, May 24, 2017.

1. TheForSaken

TheForSaken Member

I don't have the luxury of having a garage and having all sorts of wood working tools, I live in a condo and have Never worked with wood before, nor attempted a project of this magnitude.
    But figured what the hell, I have a friend that has a garage and all the tools that I would need.
    Figured I could at least build the frame in my unit if I had home depot cut my 2x4's to size. So off I went with my measurements.
    My wife kindly pressed the elevator button for me.
    Here I am wobbling back to the elevator once I realize that she maliciously hit the wrong floor button.
    She is a vile women, sometimes I think she is part demon.
    [​IMG]
    Once I have all my 2x4's it's time for the assembly.
    [​IMG]

I start off by fitting my base followed by my upper. They are identical this will hold my legs/risers.
    [​IMG]
    I follow this up by screwing in my legs/risers
    It's very important that everything is nice and square. [​IMG] Then I fill in my supports, this step is load bearing and also adds backing for the plywood sheeting that will be wrapping the frame
    That's it, frame finished.
    All done in my condo lol.
    [​IMG]
    Now just have to pick up some plywood and some trim and bring the finished frame along with everything else to my friends garage and start the next step.
    Unfortualtly I didn't take too many pictures of these steps cause I was taking forever and didn't feel to comfortable making this huge mess in my friends garage :p
    But here it is completely sheeted.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've never used a miter saw before so this was a huge learning curve for me. Especially when it came to the cove moulding.
    I've also never installed hinged before so decided to just go with hardware magnets for simplicity sake.
    I ended up going with some veneer edging to try to mimic solid wood as oppose to exposed plys. I'm glad that I did because this adds a wonderful detail to the finished stand.
    Stain used was minwax antique walnut.
    Did 4 coats, and sanding with fine wool between each and every one of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've always wanted a red oak stand that I could say 'yes, I built this'. Well here is my stand, hope this build inspired you into taken the plunge and also building your own :)

DJ, afterdark and GreatScott like this.
  2. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

great job epecially for a first time try

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

3. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

Excellent job! Looks really nice. Curious what the rough cost was.

4. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

WOW. Very well done. Impressive for your first build. Thank you for sharing.

Dawn

5. TheForSaken

TheForSaken Member

Thanks guys :)
    No doubt I could have built it cheaper, but I went with 3/4" finished oak for everything along with oak trim.
    I believe I may have ended up in the $300 range, just under.
    1/2" would have been significantly less.
    I'm sure I have the receipt at home tucked away somewhere, I'll double check when done work.

6. BCMosaic

BCMosaic Member

Congrats! Good Job!

Social Sharing