Species overlap

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by sk8erdave, Jan 8, 2013.

1. kp90

kp90 New Member

Nice to see some more pics. The other stump and the vines look to be the only new things since I saw it last, right?

As well you seem to be missing an obscenely large tree, or have you decided against using that?

2. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

the ridiculous tree you brought me is getting cut and layed down but at the moment im soaking it in the turtle "swamp" to try and rid it of any millis and spiders YUM! i think the vines are getting removed... gotta get a narrow cork tube or 2 and ima attach them between the trees instead kinda like the ones DFI brought to the last show :p

3. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

not exactly what your expecting for updates but still thought it would be interesting

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      128 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      136.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      253.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

nice blooms ;)
    Whats the third pic I dont recognise it

5. kp90

kp90 New Member

Is that third pic one of the Australian pitchers plants you picked up?

6. 31drew31

31drew31 Contributing Member

Nice flowers Dave, love the Cephalotus :)

7. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

thanks drew couldnt do it without you! yes its one of three cephalotus i picked up recently trying tht one mounted on the viv wall other 2 will stay potted for time being never had any experience with these lol anyone with any please pm me lol

8. H2-0

H2-0 Moderator Staff Member

thought I would post here to answer your question.

Andrew I would love for you to chime in with your thoughts.

As cool as Cephalotus are I really think they are best left to their own pot under different conditions. The first major downfall to being in a terrarium is that Cephs are notorious for rotting out, particularity when the crown in covered in water, they love water but in a very different way. If you can overcome the water issue (possibly by placing it where it will dry out quickly but while keeping the roots moist) then the next major downfall is that they require a stupid amount of light, light that will toast pretty much anything you would normally put in a viv. 12 hours of direct sunlight would make them very happy :) I grow mine 10-12" under 6 T5's, not exactly frog friendly. That being said they can handle lower light and still grow. The last downfall is temperatures. The heat isn't a huge issue nor would the cold, it's the lack of both. Cephs should be given day to night temperature difference and if possible a yearly temperature difference from summer to winter. So after you've proved me wrong and grown it to perfection then you have a set of traps..... with teeth..... that are meant to eat small animals? Anyone that doesn't know what we're talking about, here is a great picture of one, you can scroll down and see the trap with the money next to it http://ocps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=inside&action=display&thread=4708&page=9

I would say the no single reason would be enough to not try, it is the combination of everything.

With all this being said I would love for this to work and see it thrive! Even just survive and grow a couple adult traps would be pretty epic. My suggestion for it would be to get it as much light as you can, while keep the roots moist. Making its own little potting area in the background might be worth trying out, somewhere you can plant it in its own mix and monitor its watering. Hope this give you a little insight.

frogfreak and Epiphile like this.
  9. 31drew31

Cephalotus have a reputation of being difficult to grow, but I think it can easily be done inside a viv. The placement of Dave's plant looks good to me but hard to tell where it is in the viv. A wet Cephalotus is a dead Cephalotus like Justin said. If the crown and area drys out within a few hours but roots stay moist it should do just fine. 90%+ humidity wont do it too well, but if its near a vent or has good airflow it should be ok. Strong light is a must, so I would place it as close as possible to the lights, without it heating up too much. Mine are like Justins, about 10-12" from 6 HO T5's. Ive grown them up to 90F successfully, but they always received a cool night temperature around 60F. I now grow them around 80F in the summers and nights down to 55F. Ive heard of people growing them much warmer though but I haven't tried this. I think temperature difference (day to night) is more important than cool temperatures in itself. I would try and aim for 10f to 15F difference at a minimum. In situ they get a large change in seasonal temperatures, but I haven't found this to be needed. Mine get a slight difference of about 10F from summer to winter and have grown them for 3 years now (first year was a lot of trial and error with plenty of errors). My largest one is just flowering now grown 100% under artificial lighting. Humidity ranges from 60% to 90% and has a 10" table fan on medium blowing 24/7 across the plants. Potted in 50/50 LFS and perlite.
    This is my largest one, currently in 5.5" pot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66871944@N08/8544016244/

Your plant Dave looks to be about a year away from making mature traps (is this one of Varun's?). Also I find after transplanting they sulk for a month or three then start to take off. Also dont be surprised if it starts losing traps slowly, this is quite common when transplanting (I find it helps to put a little water in the trap if they have lost their liquid during transplanting). They love being fed, even the small traps. I use small chunks of beta bites fish food for the small traps and larger fish pellets for adult traps. FF's would also work great Im sure.:) If it craps out on you don't get discouraged, I killed one or two before I got it right ;) haha.

10. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Thanks guys this is a interesting topic for anyone into cps well i went ahead and planted it close to the top of the tank its in, its got its roots wrapped in live sphagnum only and is about 14 inches under 3x 10 watt led chips, theres a 120mm fan running all the time full speed 6 inches about the plant also gets sprayed 5-6 times a day by my mistking it seems to be losing one pitcher atm i hope it doesn't die lol, but i picked up three from Varun so i got a few to play with, how do i go about filling the pitchers? and how often should i feed these guys? not to worry about frogs this is in another tank entirely just thought it would liven up this thread until i got more stuff done on the "BEAST" lol
    Thanks for the insight into this subject really helpful gentlemen!
    Dave

11. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

tanks1.jpg tanks1.jpg tanks2.jpg

Attached Files:

frogfreak and Epiphile like this.
  12. 31drew31

Looking good Dave, now comes the grow in! I know this tank is massive but its hard to tell the size in the photos. Would be cool to see a photo with something for size reference.

I missed your question earlier, sorry. I use a small pipette that I bought of eBay for like $2.

13. Epiphile

Epiphile Contributing Member

Looking good. You need some tiny plants to make that thing look even bigger than it is.

14. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

Nice Dave! I look forward to see it live! :)

15. kp90

kp90 New Member

I've seen it in person, it's pretty impressive. For a bit of a size reference the fake tree on the left was build with a 4" pvc pipe as the frame. And the branch on the right with the birds nest fern on it is roughly 3 feet long.

16. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

o_O Okay Dave, put K in it for perspective. :D

17. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Ill get a couple pics tonight hopefully with something to give better perspective :D thanks for all the comments guys!

18. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

heres the one with the bottles for reference sorry for the late response :( bottles.jpg

mystah, 31drew31 and Epiphile like this.
  19. 31drew31

SWEET!

20. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

its coming along alot slower then planned but i need DFI to bring in more broms again LOL :p HINT HINT NUDGE NUDGE! LOL :p :D just kidding guys i picked all the ones in there up off a random guy in TO actually lol. just gotta get like another 40-50 is all :p this taml is gonna get pricey fast when orchid season comes around lol!

Social Sharing