Species overlap

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by sk8erdave, Jan 8, 2013.

1. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Soooooo since the pics are still a few days out at least i thought i would post the ideas ive been running over for frogs, I'm def gonna be getting Ameerega trivitatta “Greenback” for the lower area. A nice bold larger frog, and i would like to do a nice water feature. I'm not sure as far as what else yet but i figured anyone with ideas would be cool to hear, also any ideas for a cool waterfall/dripwall idea/s would be greatly appreciated as well...

2. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] tank 1.jpg

Attached Files:

frogfreak likes this.
  3. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

so theres the pics i promised, sketchy as anything :D just the way most peoples collections are :p

4. Epiphile

Epiphile Contributing Member

That thing's bloody huge! It's kind of tough to see what's going on with the construction, but it looks like you'll have lots of room for a water feature. How are you planning on designing the rest of the hardscape?

5. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

dave u crazy. huge project congrats. I want an invite to come see it:)

6. Lance

Lance Legendary Member

Dave im looking forward to seeing the rest of the build, I do hope you have some rare plants to place in that beast. Good luck with the project.

7. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Plant im really relying on other froggers and random finds :p lmfao, Drew i wanna have a meet in the summer time depending on how my place is coming along... Thinking i would host it, Nothing set in stone so no one get excited but im hoping so.... Hard scape im hoping to do a cork half log and aloooot of broms/orchids off the walls, gonna have a waterfall/dripwall on the wall with the holes. Basement only holds Dwarfs :p tall people bump heads lmfao! Inside dimensions are 72" by 48" and 36 Tall any ideas for scaping are welcome.... always open to ideas...
    Thanks for replies guys
    Dave

8. 31drew31

31drew31 Contributing Member

Wow impressive project there Dave! Excited to see the progress you make with it.

9. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Thanks alot drew! You'll probably be one of the guys ima hit up for some plant advice when time comes lol!!

10. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Holy Crap...I cant wait to see the progress

11. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Sooo as time progresses so does the viv slowly, Im hoping to have a few more pics soon just want to finish painting this fake tree abomination ive made. If anyone has any experience keeping Nepenthes with darts PLEASE pipe up im all ears im sure mine will be pitching again soon(and is kinda in a viv currently lol).
    Dave

12. H2-0

H2-0 Moderator Staff Member

What species of Nepenthes?

13. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

I believe its a max cross, i will post it on here after work. got it from a friend and his is throwing 5 inch high pitchers :eek:

14. 31drew31

I believe Marty has kept Nepenthes with darts. Problem with most is they out grow tanks quite fast, even with 36"of height. Since your tank is so long and wide as well though it should do just fine growing sideways once it gets too tall. Most maxima hybrids are quite tolerant of conditions.

sk8erdave and H2-0 like this.
  15. H2-0

Did you get it from Roger? I think you two know each other haha

Like Drew said it'll outgrow your tank pretty quickly, I would go with N. bellii or N. gracilis as they are both warm growers and stay way smaller then any hybrid your going to be able to get. Plus, N. gracilis is extremely water tolerant. I've grown it sitting in an inch of water for days at a time.

sk8erdave likes this.
  16. 31drew31

N. campanulata is another smaller plant that likes warmer temperatures.

sk8erdave likes this.
  17. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

LOL i did get it from roger how'd you know :p he's one of my really good friends. any ideas on where to acquire any of these you guys have mentioned?? its a sibuguyansis(think this is spelling) x maxima, i would rather not have GIANT overwhelming plant in there as i would like to stick to alot of smaller orchids and such.

18. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

N. bellii seems as if it would be the most colour full out of the 3 but gracilis seems almost as if it would be the most appropriate with the slender pitchers... I would like a second opinion if anyone wants to chim in... Thanks guys Dave

19. H2-0

Haha ya its N. sibuyanensis x maxima, not a small plant in any way. That thing will be a beast when full grown. He got in from EP when a guy in Vancouver did an order. I actually potted up all of Rogers plants when they came in with mine ;)

I have both but my N. bellii can't be cut any time soon. I would go for gracilis mainly because its small slender and insanely east to grow. I've got a bunch of gracilis that I could take some cuttings and root for you. I could start with smaller cuttings so it would' t outgrow your take too fast.

20. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

That's awesome dude!!! I like this guy but i was worried about that, I would love to pick one up from you!!! PM'ed

Social Sharing