Species overlap

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by sk8erdave, Jan 8, 2013.

1. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Hey everyone im looking for any info/experience anyone has keeping two different species together, that would naturally co-exist. before this turns into a giant brawl about keeping different frogs together ill tell you the planned tank size(in the works) 6ft by 4ft by 3ft, i would like to do something nature looking in something this large, so any info/links would be awesome!
    Thanks Dave

2. 31drew31

31drew31 Contributing Member

No info here, but you must post some photos when you get a chance!!

3. Brandon B

Brandon B Contributing Member

I really have no info on this either and i haven’t seen any info any where about someone who has done it. But if they naturally coexist i don’t see why you couldn’t as long as you have enough space and can accommodate the needs of both species. I think the biggest issue people have with this is the idea of hybrids being produce. I know in some hobbies, like people who keep cichlids are really against the ideas of hybrids, i am not sure about the dart frog hobby but i am sure its the same. So i guess if you could get two different species that won’t interbreed and coexist naturally i don’t see why not.
    Well there’s my input :) Would love to see pictures when you get the viv completely. I have always want to create a large viv, just don’t have the time or money right now to do so.

4. Phyllobates azureus

Phyllobates azureus Member

Some people do keep different species together. However, there are a number of things that you need to take into consideration. To start with, do not put species that are capable of crossbreeding together. For instance, no auratus and leucs in the same viv. Also, to avoid competition, it is best to have just one terrestrial and one arboreal species in a vivarium. Finally, avoid mixing unless you have extensive experience with both species being used. As you can see, mixing species is generally not worth the risk or the effort involved.

5. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

k guys,

Let's put the Hybrid, crossbreeding thing to bed... Dave has been in the hobby for some time now and I'm sure knows which frogs aren't suitable together. He's asking which one's are suitable together.

Sorry, I can't be any help here. I've never researched it.

6. dutchscum

dutchscum Contributing Member

i personally would go frogs and some sort of arboreal gecko

7. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Thanks for everyone's input, especially to you Glenn. I like the idea of the gecko thing but im not sure how available something small and arboreal from south America would be lol, i work in the pet trade and there's not to many species i can think of. in regards to pics ill get some as soon as i can, kinda in the process of trying to figure out if 36 is too tall or too short as it currently stands at 48 inches high LOL. maintenance on a frog tank this high would be next to impossible lol hoping 36 will be easier might even go 30 though we will see... any opinions would be great

8. Ethan A

Ethan A Contributing Member

I found this on Saurian Enterprises website ----
    Can You Suggest Some Combinations of Dart Frogs That Might Make Good Tankmates?
    The sexed pairs that we offer make a great focal point for a tank, and I think a pair of D.azureus along with a three or four orange galacs is a striking combination. The forty breeder is a good size for this group. Many other frogs can stand in for the two species in this combination, such as replacing the Orange galactonotus with Green and Black D. auratus, or substituting a pair of cobalts for the azureus. Another choice might be a group of Phyllobates terribilis, along with a thumbnail frog such as D. imitator. The terribilis is a rather sedentary frog, and very terrestrial in our tanks here, and generally completely ignore other frogs in the tank. Of course thumbnail frogs are best left until after you have some experience with other larger dart frogs.
    One form of mixing which should not be done is the mixing of different color or locality forms of the same species. This is due to the likelihood that they will interbreed, and produce undesirable crosses, which generally don't look as attractive as either parent, and which lead to confusion and can later contaminate the “gene pool” of both morphs, when they are accidentally bred back into “true” morphs.

9. Dendromad

Dendromad Contributing Member

The A. trivittata halauga canyon and R. imitator varadero I have together at work seem to be doing well together, both are breeding in there. No risk of crossbreeding. If offered plenty of food regularly I have seen little competition or aggression for food between the species. Only aggression I have seen is male imitator wrestling which happens in single species tanks anyway.

10. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Thats awesome guys! thanks so much i e-mailed UE to see if i could get an opinion from them as well.

11. boabab95

boabab95 Contributing Member

As you said Dave, there really isn't much coming in from SA that's suitable, maybe some Monkey anoles, but I know they didn't do well for you :( I know some people keep carribbean anoles with darts, but since you want it to be as natural as possible, that wouldn't work.... I don't know if you're able to find them [I haven't seen them on any lists] but I think "brown tree climbers" aka Uranoscodon supercilliosus [It would probably be listed as some type of iguana though, just to confuse you even more :p ] and something bigger like terribs could work if you make the tank 48'' high... Or perhaps Gonatodes sp.? I know they come in from time to time...

Just my .02

12. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

gonatodes or yellow headed day geckos(Gonatodes albogularis) would be interesting but arent available around this area terribly often, i know of a guy who breeds them in BC but i dont know of anyone locally... i would rather shy away from anything large enough to need to be fed crickets honestly, Most anoles are wild caught especially odd balls like the monkey/chameleon anoles, worm ridden and harder then anything to properly treat without consulting a vet.. if i had the chance i would probably do the anoles again but they wouldn't like the humidity of this style of setup

13. boabab95

I know Rob @ Global exotics in kitchener had them, not sure if he still does though...

If you were doing a malagasy biotope, it would be a lot easier to choose small geckos :p

14. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Yea but mantellas just arent as fun :p

15. jibfest

jibfest Member

One day I would love to build a Costa Rican biotype viv. Was thinking similar dimentions to yours. Animals of choice would be either a pair of Black Jeans or Granuliferus and a group of hyalinobatrachium valerioi. 24 hrs of enjoyment! I know I know but a guy can dream cant he? :)

16. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

how come only for 24 hrs? dreams can come true :p look at mine my dream of a 700 gallon fish tank fell apart so now im making a giant viv :D

17. jibfest

jibfest Member

Just ment having both diurnal & nocturnal frogs would mean 24 hr action! and I would also love to see pics of this "giant viv" as it comes together!

18. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

Yea i wanna get some pics but im in the process of cutting 14 inches of the top lmao, its just waaay to hard to do anything with at 48 inches if i get it cut fully i might get pics up for sunday, heres hoping

19. sk8erdave

sk8erdave Member

I just wanna note that its probably gonna be a rather large upset to some of you as its only got 2 48inch windows in it the rest is a epoxy sealed plywood(meant to be fish tank) long story short it leaked at the window so now i get to make one hell of a frog tank!! :D

20. boabab95

Now that size of tank I have plants for :p

What about ameivas? and a larger tree frog? (They would eat anything on the ground :p )

Social Sharing