Some opinions on my setup?

Discussion in 'Members Frogs & Vivariums' started by cmh80, Apr 8, 2018.

1. cmh80

cmh80 New Member

Here is the "first draft" of my 12x12x18 setup that I plan to house a R. amazonica OR R. imitator in. Substrate is a mix of Zoomed "Repti-soil" with coco husk fibre, milled sphagnum, crushed leaf litter, and crushed clay bioballs. I added springtails. The leaf litter layer is quite thick. The rock in the foreground is there just to help flatten it, I will likely take it out.

The tilasandias where an impulse buy and I know they will probably not do well in a humid tank. When I can find small broms I will switch out the airplants for them. Can anyone ID the small plant in the foreground for me? It was not labeled, I thought it was creeping Charlie but I'm not so sure.

Please excuse the dirty glass. Hmm not sure if you all want a full description of everything. Just want to know if this looks like it could be a good froggy home, and what I should add/remove/change etc... thanks!!!

[​IMG]

2. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

Looks good only concern is the palm in the back. It will grow quite large even if you keep it in a small pot it will outgrow it and they can get to 3 feet tall in time. It is an Arica palm. Later in the spring I will have lots of small broms available if you still need some by then. Now with more light and warmth in my solarium the pups are starting to grow so will have a bunch available late May.

The plant in the front is creeping Pilea. Pilea nummulariifolia. Hope this helps.

Ron.

3. cmh80

cmh80 New Member

I have removed the palm, just have to find a good replacement now. Can't wait for some bromeliads.

My light is a t5ho sunblaster nano, the plants are looking perky, especially the hypoestes. I feel there is not enough floor space for even tiny frogs. I need to add something more to fill the vertical space. Where the hypoestes is planted, is a 'cave' made of small cork bark pieces. There are lots of hiding spots back there. The small wood piece and the mushroom are attatched to bamboo skewers staked into the substrate. I soaked the mushroom before adding it, dunno if I should have done that. It was dry before. I should probably take it out and put another plant or more leaves.

4. cmh80

cmh80 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Updated. Removed mushroom and palm plant, added another piece of driftwood, and also scored a bromeliad with 4 offshoots growing nicely at a garden centre which I trimmed off. Lets see how they do. The cross section formed by the driftwood provides the nook for them to sit, and there is a small piece of cork bark underneath where their stems rest, which also makes a nice hiding spot. I also added a nutshell hiding spot in the lower right corner. The tillandsia brachycalous are doing very well. I havn't noticed any new growth on the others. The hypoestes and pilea are doing very well, as are the springtails, the leaf litter is full of them and I can see teeny tiny babies. I'm wondering if I should add more plants or leave the open space? Also replaced exo-terra lid with glass. Humidity is now about 80%.

ps. no frogs yet!

erikm likes this.

Social Sharing