Sex ratio

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by Bugz, May 14, 2018.

1. Bugz

Bugz New Member

Hello,

I'd like to know what the average sex ratio is in dendrobates frogs, but can't seem to get a clear picture, so I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folks can help.

I want to know if it fluctuates much, or if there is an average. Is there a difference in captivity than in the wild? Does temperature really affect it etc?

I often read about someone who acquires several frogs, but ends up without a single breeding pair so I'm curious, has this happened to you?

I realize most people probably don't know the sex of their froglets before selling them, if you have any information at all I'd love to hear about it.

Also, I have a group of 12 several month old auratus, and I am wondering if it's possible to estimate that (if indeed auratus tends to be female heavy) I'd get at least a few males?

Bugz

2. 41714049

41714049 Contributing Member

It really depends on the species. Some species the females are aggressive to one another, and some the males. Other species do well in groups. Sometimes it even depends on the person. Some people prefer to breed in groups and some in pairs. For auratus, I personally recommend keeping them in groups evenly sexed or a little higher in males.

In terms of odds of female and male, I find in my experience most the offspring is pretty much averaging to 50/50 split. There are some dart frog species where people have come forward stating temperature affected sex ratios of offspring, but I do not think there is any scientific evidence to support this (that I am aware of, but am not stating that cannot be a possibility).

3. Bugz

Bugz New Member

Hey, thanks for the reply. That is good to know, as I was getting the feeling that a 80:20 ratio might be the norm, but I guess thats more typical of the pumilo frogs.

Social Sharing