Rimless Tank

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by robldr, Aug 8, 2018.

1. robldr

robldr New Member

I've got an old 50 gal aquarium that I will be eventually converting to a pdf viv. Problem is it doesn't have a rim that I can fit glass into. I'm considering making a glass lid cut about 1/2" wider/longer and sit it on top of the rim. Does this sound like a bad idea? Never seen it done but I wonder if it's just cause it'll look pretty bad lol. What are your thoughts? Cheers

2. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

It is going to take a little extra craftsmanship on your part, but I believe you should be able to keep that rimless look with 2 pieces of glass cut to fit inside of your tank and a few rectangular scrap pieces. If you were to silicone in a piece of glass, say 6" wide (give or take a few inches depending on what you want), on the back half of the top, you should be able to attach clear acrylic hinges to it. From there just bond a few rectangular pieces on the inside R + L walls so that second piece of the glass top that will open sits flush with the rest of the enclosure, giving it support (Note: put a small bead of silicone along the top of the rectangular pieces, they will act more like rubber stops then and you won't have glass on glass contact). Once that is done, simply attach the second piece of glass to the hinges and put a clear acrylic knob on the front so that you can lift it to open.

Here is a link to give you an example of what the hinges and knob look like: https://www.joshsfrogs.com/acrylic-doorlid-supplies.html

And you can have holes drilled on the lid in the front, back, or neither depending on your ventilation needs. Then to make it frog/flyproof after covering the ventilation holes, buy some clear silicone strips or run a bead of clear silicone along any other gaps that might be present.

Might be something to consider and it would look incredibly clean!

3. robldr

robldr New Member

Thanks for the response Braeden. Very cool idea! I'm sure I could handle the diy, I'm just not as creative ;) Will definitely consider it, thanks!

BraedenW likes this.

Social Sharing