Reconstructing Upright........?

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by stephwrigs, Jan 1, 2018.

1. stephwrigs

stephwrigs Member

Anyone ever reconstructed a viv upright? The wood in a viv that I got off someone else finally rotted out & I don’t want to empty it all out. But will if I have to. Could I just support the new wood well while the foam cures? And is any aquarium wood suitable?

2. 41714049

41714049 Contributing Member

I have found Malaysian driftwood sold in pet stores lasts a very very long time. You can support the wood temporarily by many different methods until it cures; wood blocks, plastic tubes, tape, fishing line, etc). Probably obvious, but empty your tank out from plants and animals. Even plants especially if you are going to use silicone - curing fumes from silicone can kill your plants too.

stephwrigs likes this.
  3. stephwrigs

stephwrigs Member

Thanks Jan! I had finally got back to working on my tank just this week & ironically had been foaming pieces in last night & today (including Malaysian driftwood! Lol).

I had totally emptied out the tank of plants & soil. Put the soil outside in a bag as I had snail problems, so figured the cold will kill off everything & I’ll reseed with springtails when I reassemble.

Very excited to see your next build & welcome back!

4. 41714049

41714049 Contributing Member

Thanks... in regards to snails... just be aware that the cold wont necessarily kill the snails depending on the type of snail / slug. If you want to be sure... I recommend baking the soil if you want to reuse it.

Good luck.

Social Sharing