re-moistening a culture?

Discussion in 'Food & Feeding' started by rizacks, Mar 6, 2014.

1. rizacks

rizacks Member

i'm still getting the hang of culturing FFs and made the mistake of putting too thin of a layer of agar in my tupperware.

So now i have amazing hydei cultures, but they tend to dry up and crash.. I've been using wads of papertowel soaked in fruitjuice to keep them going a bit further, any suggestions on how i can add more food/moisture?

2. pinkjello

pinkjello Contributing Member

can you make more cultures and scrape these ones into the new culturs? I did that once and it worked - a little messy but I was just trying to figure it out.

3. Dartgirl66

Dartgirl66 Member

Agar? What is Agar?
    We use rapashy fly mixture. On a couple occasions when I think they culture is getting low on food I just make up a new culture and put the flies into the new container. That way they don't die and go to waste.

4. h2osanity

h2osanity Contributing Member

I make new cultures every two weeks regardless of how the previous one is producing. I use the oatmeal/banana/potato mix. Most of the time I have 3 stages of cultures going and more flies than I can handle. Usually 12 cultures spread out for 4 frogs. I am throwing them in the freezer in zippy bags and feeding them to my fish. ;)

Philippe likes this.
  5. Dartgirl66

Dartgirl66 Member

I'm making cultures every week. We have 18 frogs. Plus I have 2 strains of FF, hydeis & melons. I would rather have too much ff's rather than not enough.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rizacks

rizacks Member

My biggest thing is getting the timing right. I think I've got enough cultures going now where I should be fine. I found a reptile rescue guy here in Abbotsford who sells me pinhead crickets when there is an emergency, which I dont mind since it goes to a good cause.

I should be solid for cultures moving forward....

Any reason to mess with the melon FFs when the hydei are bigger?

7. Dartgirl66

Dartgirl66 Member

We have the melon ff for our froglets & our hylos since they are smaller & it's easier for them to eat them.

My big thing was timing as well. I think I figured out that it takes 10 days to get the culture going. I always panic that I'm gonna run out but it seems to be working lately :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Melo's produce almost twice as fast and IMHO the smell much less

9. Dartgirl66

Dartgirl66 Member

Yes the melons do produce faster and they smell different too. Not so strong.

10. Razor

Razor Member

I do add water to my cultures. It prolongs them from weeks to months! When I see the the rapashy start to get a little dry I give the culture a few squirts from a spray bottle letting it dribble down the side of the container. It moistens the food back up and cycles the culture again without having to make another one. I do find that as the food gets eaten over a month or two the flies slowly start to produce less and less. So I usually end the culture after 2 or 3 months. I like to be as efficient as possible and making new cultures all the time with uneaten rapashy is just wasted money in my opinion

11. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

If you find your cultures are producing too fast take some and move them to the floor. The cooler temps will slow them down so you don't get that big boom from all your cultures at once and can't use them all at once. I do 12-15 cultures every 10 days and move them around on a shelving unit if they are slow I move them to the top where it is warmest and when they boom I move them down and if they really boom I move some of them to the bottom to slow them down. How much medium do you put in your deli containers? I have 1.5-2" of medium so it lasts a long time and rarely dries out but as said above just slowly add a bit of water and once it soaks up if still a bit dry add a bit more. (I do 1/2 cup of dry medium to every deli container.) You don't want water sitting in there or your flies and maggots will drown and it will be a real mess when trying to tap the flies out.

Social Sharing