Question about Leucs

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by jridge, Jun 4, 2018.

1. jridge

jridge Member

I have had a tank up and running with 3 leucs for about 3 years now. I am 98% sure that I have 3 females in there as I have never heard any calling etc. They all seem content and I have never witnessed any aggression or fighting. One issue is they are never really out and about. It seems they all have their own space and seem to keep to it.

My question is should I look for a male or 2 to add to the tank or would this create unnecessary aggression between the group? I played a YouTube video of a male calling and they seemed to come alive. One was scaling the glass to find where the call was coming from.

Thanks in advance. Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. brayden

brayden Member

leucs are by far the hardest to sex and group for me. I have at least a guaranteed male that i heard call probably 1.5 years ago. when i play a call he wrestles anything near - male or female (ive seen him wrestle a proven female), but hasnt made a peep himself.

3. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

I think adding some males would definitely bring some interest to your group of leuces. Leucomelas are a great frog in groups. But a few questions you may want to ask before you do so are are is your viv large enough for a few more frogs and are you prepared for the probable production of eggs and the resulting new lives. There may be some aggression in the beginning as well.

Dawn

4. jridge

jridge Member

Thanks to you both for responding. I guess if it isn’t broke why fix it? The 3 seem content as of now. I don’t really want to get into baby leucs or anything down the road either. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dawndj likes this.

Social Sharing