Protean/Euro vivariums

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by RougeCreek, May 24, 2017.

1. RougeCreek

RougeCreek Member

Looking for someone who builds euro-sliding or similar styled custom vivariums. Willing to pay accordingly. Please pm me.

Attached Files:

2. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

Following along on this one...

RougeCreek likes this.
  3. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

No one in Ontario that I know of makes the Euro style vivariums specifically for dart frogs.

There are a few people making reptile tanks with sliding glass doors with screen tops.

There's Marty made Enclosures made in Michigan.http://www.martymade.com/products.html
    Screen top will have to be removed then top modified.
    I've seen these tanks and they look well made just needs some modifying for dart frogs.
    Sliding doors don't look fly proof.
    "The vivarium" stocks them and sells them at Ontario expo's.

http://thevivarium.ca/shopping-cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=63_80_91&limit=75

afterdark and RougeCreek like this.
  4. RougeCreek

RougeCreek Member

To update all who may be interested in acquiring a custom Protean vivarium, they do provide international shipping and Jason is wonderful to work with. Aside from a medical setback, manufacturing is back in progress. I highly recommend this company.

5. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

What company are you referring to?

Dawn

6. TheForSaken

TheForSaken Member

It's always good practice to wait till 'after' delivery before one highly recommends a company.
    There's wolves out there disguised as sheep and some only find this out 'after' they have been burnt by said company and have already highly recommended them to others.
    Good practice to research reviews prior also

greenoasis1 likes this.
  7. RougeCreek

RougeCreek Member

8. RougeCreek

RougeCreek Member

I do agree that my review may be a bit premature. I guess we shall see how things transpire. As for the online reviews, it only takes a few disgruntled people to flood the web with negativity. I have read both good and bad. I cannot comment on the impulsivity of others and their lack of patience when dealing with a custom product. Do I appreciate the input of others to avoid getting scammed? Yes. But I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.

9. TheForSaken

TheForSaken Member

RougeCreek do as you will, I wish you the best possible outcome.
    If you were closer to me I'd personally build 1 for you, I'm just not keen on shipping a glass box...
    Somewhere in 1 of my threads there's a link to a PDF file that shows a step by step how to build a euro style viv along with a very nifty glass calculator. It was designed by Darryl Le Grange. It's worth a look.
    Good luck to you

10. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

Protean does have some bad history...takes alot for a vendor to get banned from Dendroboard.

11. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

I have been to three different glass shops with these plans, and no one wants to cut the glass for me, which is a HUGE bummer. I might have to take trip to the GTA to find a shop that will do it...

12. TheForSaken

TheForSaken Member

I had a similar experience with the front mail slot opening piece, nobody wanted to cut it. Ended up doing it myself, it took more then a couple of tries before being able to succeed without breaking it.

13. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

They have a massive amount of bad reviews on Facebook as well. Mostly people who purchased and never received anything at all. I'd steer waaaaay clear from these guys!

14. RougeCreek

RougeCreek Member

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate your feedback. @TheForSaken, I wish you lived in my area as I would certainly take you up on that offer! Was it difficult to construct your vivarium? I'm looking to get three very large units - two of which are 55" in length. I would like to avoid spending $1k in terrariums that I would never receive, and I don't react well to deceit. I know that company got booted from Dendroboard, but desperation can be motivating. Looks like I'll try my hand at glasswork after all!

15. TheForSaken

TheForSaken Member

RougeCreek, the building process isn't very difficult at all.
    If you're going to follow Darryl's step by step, keep in mind that he designs his vivariums in a way that the back and side glass panels lay on the outside of the bottom panel. So, it is very important that you use a perfectly flat surface in order to get the viv perfectly square.
    I used a 5/8" piece of melamine as my flat surface. I had a couple of false starts because of this very minute detail.
    Make sure your edges are nice and clean, oil free, wipe them down with iso alcohol before laying down your bead.
    Use a quality construction silicone, I went with SCS1201 but there are many others to choose from.
    My vivs dimensions are 36"×24"×36" so I went with 1/4" thickness, not sure what would be recommended in your case?
    If you have any other questions please don't hesitate. The satisfaction of successfully completing your very own vivarium from scratch is.......
    Cheers

dawndj and RougeCreek like this.
  16. RougeCreek

RougeCreek Member

@TheForSaken, I'm sure I'll be messaging you in the near future! Thank you for the wonderful tips. Hopefully this will encourage other hobbyists to construct their own large vivarium. Your display is an inspirational work of art.

TheForSaken likes this.
  17. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

Please send me the size of pieces of glass you need cut all and how many mm of thickness I can give you a price. Then you can let me know if you are good with that but you would have to build it yourself. You would also have to find the black trim that is in the pic you have and see what the mm inner is so you can tell me the glass thickness you want. I have cut a lot of glass and yes you do sometimes mess up a piece that is why companies don't want to do this so price for all the cut pieces must consider if a piece gets messed up or it may cost me more to do than what I can get back. You can email me directly and let me know what you were looking for in your price range for the cut glass and then I can let you know if I can do it for that or not.

Ron.

RougeCreek and afterdark like this.

Social Sharing