Please sign this petition to help stop this by-law in Chatham-Kent Ontario from being approved.

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by greenoasis1, Feb 5, 2015.

1. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

Please sign this petition to help stop this by-law in Chatham-Kent Ontario from being approved.

There are several parts of this by-law that needs to be reviewed. First the restriction of pet snakes except those under 1m in length. This makes the most common pet snakes illegal. The Ball Python, Corn Snakes, Boas, King snakes and many more. This virtually eliminates the whole snake pet industry. Also the restriction of lizards over 0.5 m bans many popular lizards in the pet industry. And lastly, the restriction of 10 or less animals and they're also trying to ban hamsters...really??

No one can keep more then 10 animals per household.

This doesn't make sense..most reptiles,amphibians and fish produce more then 10 babies.

Even if you don't live in Chatham Kent, please sign the petition...because the next new animal by-law could be your town, city or province.

https://www.change.org/p/chatham-ke...mals?after_sign_exp=member_sponsored_donation

2. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

Done! My comments...

Because, it's the most ridiculous bylaw I've seen regarding PETS. What next, cats and dogs? I don't understand why people feel exotic pets are a danger to the community. Dogs is far more dangerous if you look at the statistics. Please, leave us and our pets alone already.

Regards,

Blair D and greenoasis1 like this.
  3. greenoasis1

Thanks Glenn.

This is what I wrote.

This proposed by-law is draconian.

10 or less animals doesn't make sense ,most clutches of reptiles and amphibians,fish have larger clutches then 10.

This proposed by-law needs to be reviewed by people that understand the hobby of keeping reptiles and amphibians and fish.

There are more people injured by dogs then reptiles.

Banning Hamster's...really??

4. ouaouaron

ouaouaron Member

J'ai signé.
    Bernard.

greenoasis1 likes this.
  5. greenoasis1

Merci/Gracias Bernard.

6. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

Lord, I just noticed the grammar errors...:rolleyes: :oops:

7. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

signed

greenoasis1 likes this.
  8. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Signed

"it appears that the individuals writing this proposed by-law lack the basic knowledge and education of the subject matter. I am not sure where their fear comes from, but it is truly unwarranted."

greenoasis1 likes this.
  9. 41714049

41714049 Contributing Member

Signed.

BTW... bacteria are animals... so I bet my toilet would be against the law.

greenoasis1 likes this.
  10. 41714049

41714049 Contributing Member

Wife signed too!

greenoasis1 likes this.
  11. Lordoftheswarms

Lordoftheswarms Member

Bacteria are not animals.
    Notice that animals are all on the one red branch next to fungi.
    Bacteria are throughout the blue.

[​IMG]

Here's another one. Animals and Bacteria are quite distantly related, and the terms are definitely not interchangeable.

[​IMG]

Ethan A, 41714049 and greenoasis1 like this.
  12. Epiphile

Epiphile Contributing Member

Did you at least sign the petition?

greenoasis1 likes this.
  13. Bernie Hale

Bernie Hale Contributing Member

Signed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greenoasis1 likes this.
  14. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

Our family signed and I posted this for them to read.

"More people are hurt by dogs than other animals. Fish, frogs and small reptiles can't hurt anyone and people don't take them out of their enclosures and around the public like people that own dogs. I think you really need to rethink your by-law. Please talk to people in the industry that know about these things and then make an educated choice not a blanket ban that will only hurt the industry and local business."

Ron.

15. Lordoftheswarms

Lordoftheswarms Member

Kind of judgemental, hey? I should at least, sign the petition before correcting a mistake?

What if I like the idea of others joining me in the "Our government is ridiculous" camp, and disregarding the rules, keeping their animals even though (and especially because) the idiots in power can't think past their news release?

16. Ethan A

Ethan A Contributing Member

Signed

17. Dale D

Dale D Contributing Member

There are more people killed every year by horses than just about any other animal.

18. Epiphile

In half the time it took to write a correction to a mistake which had very little to do with the actual subject at hand here, you could have signed the petition and shown your support for the hobbyists in the Chatham-Kent area who may be affected by this bylaw, regardless of how you personally feel about government in general. If signing it could keep someone on this forum or elsewhere from potentially losing the animals they care about, don't you think it's worth it?

frogfreak and vince like this.
  19. Lordoftheswarms

Lordoftheswarms Member

I want people to live in defiance of the law, to not abide by the rules. Join the dark side. Disregard our government, and their ridiculous laws.
    I'm not taking them seriously for a second.

These bans aren't enforceable anyway. I hope it goes through, and people realize that nothing
    changed. Their collections won't be confiscated, hobbyists will go unmolested.
    They will see how ineffectual, and controlling our government is.

I'm opposed to working with idiots. If they had asked the relevant parties, and engaged the public properly, they wouldn't have put in these bans in the first place. Fish and Wildlife officials wouldn't be surprised when we call them and ask about the ban. Once they make the mistake of pushing an over-controlling law without public engagement, my automatic, and guaranteed response is defiance, not diplomacy.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  20. Epiphile

If you want to use that as a reason not to sign the thing, fine, but wouldn't a small show of support against a bylaw written by an uneducated government you seem to have so much disdain for be a little more up your alley and effective than voicing your opinion on a quiet forum where people are pretty much solely interested in supporting and furthering the hobby? I'm not sure that many others here are in as sporting a mood for 'defiance' as you (although petitions could be considered as such; just a little more credible and productive).

And again, the thing is that it's not about you or your views. It's about other hobbyists; can you say with absolute certainty that no one will be affected by this? Don't you think it'd be worth doing just in case, or even if only to add your name to the list of people who openly disapprove of the bylaw? Or how about just to let the responsible agency now how you personally feel (there is a great big space for comments there, I noticed)?

And for the record, this is all coming from someone who breaks a lot of silly laws, would probably be inclined to raise terribilis in Western Canada if I lived there and felt like it, and who agrees with at least some parts of some of your points. I'm also inherently lazy. All that said, I couldn't think of a good reason not to sign this petition.

Blair D, H2-0, vince and 3 others like this.

Social Sharing