O. sylvatica 'Paru': My Dream Project

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by BraedenW, Mar 21, 2017.

1. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

Well, I figured I'd get the ball rolling on this one. Construction won't be started until close to the end of April when the semester is over, but I thought that I would start the thread now so that I can get feedback prior to beginning the build.

I recently acquired a species I dreamed of having the opportunity and privilege to work with, a female O. sylvatica 'Paru', from a local frogger and member, Lance. I can't thank you enough man! I would like to take this time to also say hi to DJ, Lance suggested I introduce myself to another local frogger such as yourself. She is currently residing in a very established 18"x18"x24". Since getting her and the tank I have done a massive trimming and made a few slight changes. (If anyone wants some Ficus 'Panama' cuttings let me know, I have a TON lol)

Here's some pictures of her and the viv:

(Lance took this one)
    Lances' Pic - Paru.jpeg

(Same girl, just my photo)
    Current Paru.jpeg

(Full Tank Shot)
    FTS.jpeg
    Now, beginning in April I will be constructing a viv that will be suitable for a 1.1. The specifications of the build are as follows:

Tank: 24"W x 18"D x 24"H Exo Terra
    Lighting: Single Jungle Hobbies LED
    Misting: Mistking Ultimate System w/Dual Nozzle
    Background: Will consist of various cork pieces and possibly driftwood that will be foamed in place with GS Pond Foam. Exposed foam will be carved and covered with silicone, then my own background mix will be pressed in.
    Drainage Layer: Black Matala Sheet (I have used this in several of my builds and for customers and I love it. It is very lightweight, strong, and has a clean look)
    Substrate: I will be using my rendition of the ABG mix with a plethora of leaf litter on top.
    Microfauna: Various isopods and springtails
    Fauna: 1.1 Oophaga sylvatica 'Paru'
    Plant List (So Far):
    - Begonia 'Iryan Jaya'
    - Begonia 'Lita'
    - Begonia thelmae
    - Carpet moss (from UE)
    - Ficus sp. 'Panama'
    - Ficus pumila 'Quercifolia'

- Ficus villosa
    - Marcgravia sp. from Peru
    - Neoregelia sp. (Several)
    - Peperomia prostrata
    - Philodendron 'Burle Marx'
    - Pilea involucrata

I will be keeping this thread updated as I progress with the build. Now, if anyone has any information in regards to locating or selling a male Paru please PM me. I am not in a rush to get one and at best it wouldn't be until mid summer, but I like to plan things well in advance. I am also looking for brom's so if someone could also help me out here that would be awesome.

Please feel free to post questions, concerns, ideas or anything of that matter. I encourage it!

Until next time,
    Braeden.

2. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

looking forward to seeing the build...Got a lead on a male?

3. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

That makes two of us, April needs to come faster! And unfortunately no, not at the moment. I have spoken with Elaine at Understory but Wikiri hasn't made an import date available yet. Fingers crossed something comes up from another member or Wikiri, whichever comes first.

4. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Awesome! Glad someone scooped up the female from Lance. Hopefully you can get a male from WIKIRI in the next few months!

5. Aurust

Aurust Member

Do you have a picture with Matala used as the drainage layer? I'd like to see what it looks like in a running tank.

6. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

Here's a picture of my A. bassleri viv where I used Matala. It's been about a year now since initial planting.
    A. bassleri 05-01-2017.jpg

And here is my E. anthonyi 'Santa Isabel' viv. This one is only about 6 months old.
    E. anthonyi 05-01-2017.jpg

The black part seen at the bottom of both enclosures is what it looks like with Matala as the drainage layer, I don't have any contact paper covering it. Hence the nice sleek and clean look I mentioned and why I've used it many times.

Hope that helps a bit!

7. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

It's not often you see a female Paru up for grabs so I couldn't miss out on the opportunity! And I hope so too. I wouldn't mind finding one from a fellow member just so that a new connection and contact begins. However, I would also love to support Wikiri because of what they have done for the hobby and the species in situ.

erikm likes this.
  8. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

Hopefully someday soon I could help you out with a male. My pair of paru have been laying eggs. First clutch went bad. The second clutch is missing. I hope they morphed into tads and have been transported but I'm not positive I haven't found them yet. I'm trying not to disturb the frogs. Fingers crossed and I'll keep you updated.

By the way great looking vivs.

9. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

Congrats! Hopefully they start figuring things out soon and begin to have greater success, and definitely keep me posted.

And thanks, I appreciate it.

10. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

I finally got the opportunity to work on the build today so I put in some time building the stand for the tank and began the initial hardscape. There's still a ton of work to do but so far I'm happy with how things are coming along.

I was able to get a 32"W x 19"D x 26"H Reptology tank AND stand for the same price as just the Exo alone.... needless to say I went with the Reptology. Plus it gave me a ton of extra room to play around with. I will post a list of the species of brom's I got a bit later, but I was able to get everything I wanted and more [​IMG]
    file.jpeg

file1.jpeg

I also got an awesome branch that will be filled with various brom's, mosses and vining plants. I am customizing the lid and my local glass shop should have the sheet done sometime this week. I am also in the process of designing a light bracket for the Jungle Hobbies light so that it will hang above the tank.
    file3.jpeg

This is the beginning of the hardscape. It took me a while to plan things out but it should result in the look I'm going for. For the ventilation shaft I used corrugated plastic and have a 60mm fan housed inside it. Air will be drawn in from the bottom left of the shaft and pushed out the front at the top.
    file2.jpeg

And this is the first round of foam. I love when things go from nothing to the beginning of something!
    file4.jpeg

Once everything cures I will begin stage 2 of foaming/hardscape. If everything goes as planned, I should have an update for you guys within the next few days.

mystah likes this.
  11. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

Another update as promised. After almost a year of planning, hoarding unique pieces of wood and catching some lucky breaks with plants, seeing this build come together has been incredible and has surpassed all of my expectations.

After the foam cured I applied the silicone and pressed in my background mix, then allowed that to fully cure. Here is what things looked like.
    7.jpeg

6.jpeg

And here is how things look with the mounted brom's.
    9.jpeg

8.jpeg

10.jpeg

This is still far from being complete but so far I have achieved and surpassed the look I had envisioned.

And for those of you interested, here is a list of the brom's as seen from left to right:
    N. 'Punc Rubra X Tigrina'
    N. 'Mo Peppa Please'
    N. 'Bonkers'
    N. 'Angel Face'
    N. 'Gemini'
    N. 'Cougar'
    N. 'Prairie Fire'

12. zZephyr

zZephyr Member

that's gonna look really nice when it's fully planted, good job!

BraedenW likes this.
  13. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

Finally got around to take pics of the initial planting. I'm still not done and will be adding plants here and there as things begin to fill in more, but it's getting closer to completion. And it might be hard to tell in the pictures, but all of the brom's have colored up immensely in the short period they have been under the light. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Jungle Hobbies Advanced LED. You won't be disappointed!

11.jpeg

12.jpeg

14..jpeg

Plant list at the moment:
    Begonia 'Iryan Jaya'
    Begonia 'Lita' (This one didn't appreciate being shipped so its in recovery for a bit until it's more stable)
    Begonia soli mutata
    Begonia thelmae

Carpet moss from UE
    Marcgravia sp. 'Peru Burgundy'
    Peperomia prostrata
    Philodendron 'Burle Marx'
    Pilea cadierei
    Pilea involucrata
    Selaginella kraussiana

If anyone has some plants that would be suitable for mid to foreground growth and is willing to ship, please contact me with what you have available. I'm also looking for some smaller-mid sized orchids that would do well in the upper levels of the viv and can tolerate high levels of light.

Now, I just have to wait for things to grow in!

zZephyr and erikm like this.
  14. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

It's amazing how much things can grow within a few months and how different things look! Watching this grow has been a real treat as many of the plants have flowered and are continually flowering.

file9.jpeg

file13.jpeg

N. 'Bonkers' in bloom
    file1.jpeg

And after a long wait and a slight change in plans, I introduce the new inhabitants. I got my hands on four O. pumilio 'Popa' and within a day they began calling. Not to mention they have absolutely no fear of me or my camera lol
    file10.jpeg

file11.jpeg

file12.jpeg

At the rate things seem to grow I'll have more updates soon, and hopefully in the near future I'll have news about clutches of eggs and tadpoles!

GreatScott likes this.

Social Sharing