New to the hobby

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Phgnome, Jul 20, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Phgnome

Phgnome New Member

I'm so happy to find this community. I'm a total newbie to the hobby. This will be my first viv build ever. I've always wanted to keep dart frogs and vivariums but i don't know why I didn't. I have a background keeping fish (years ago, I lived in an industrial space with concrete floors and ~40 aquariums) and then I got married and had kids and the kids have taken up most of my time. About a year ago, my daughter with autism has taken a deep interest in frogs. We were at Ontario Science Centre and she saw the dart frog exhibit and fell in love. Since then, she has used her recently acquired spelling and keyboarding skills to do "research" on the pets she wants. I'm totally on board with it -- I've ALWAYS wanted to keep dart frogs and I'm fascinated by the creative things that people do with their vivariums.

I'm so pumped about starting our first vivarium. We just picked up a second hand 18x18x18 exo terra. I've been checking out some of the videos and threads to learn more. I think I'm ready to try out my first build.

Ethan A, erikm and pygmycory like this.
  2. pygmycory

pygmycory Member

Glad to meet you. I'm new too.

It must be nice to share an interest with your daughter that both of you can get enthusiastic about. Do you know what species you want yet? I hope everything goes really well for you.

Dart frogs can be surprisingly intimidating for such small creatures. They've been on my list of creatures I want to try more or less forever, but I kept putting them off because I was worried I'd mess up horribly. Then last year I realized that I was culturing melanogaster for a finicky fish and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and that I'd been building planted tanks for my reptiles and inverts for years. Not longer after that I acquired a second-hand Exoterra that was larger than required for my Crested Gecko. Life got really busy so I'm only just getting going on putting things together now, but it seems like the right time.

Ethan A and Phgnome like this.
  3. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

Welcome to the addiction both of you. Dart frogs are awesome and fascinating. And this is a wonderful and rewarding hobby. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Dawn

pygmycory and Phgnome like this.
  4. Phgnome

Phgnome New Member

I haven't decided on species definitely yet but she's leaning towards azureus. She also likes red eye tree frogs a LOT, too...they're her second favourite (I know, I know...this is fishkeeping all over again...lol...seeing a second set-up in the horizon). I haven't seen many azureus around us but maybe I'm not looking in the right places yet. I'd like to look around in the area for people who have them. I'm not crazy about the idea of having animals shipped just because I worry about how they'll travel. But putting any animals in our tank is still months away. I totally know from my fish days that it's really important to let the tank stabilize before putting any animals in.

dawndj likes this.
  5. Phgnome

Phgnome New Member

Foaming is a new thing for me. I've never done any foaming to build tanks before and I'm really excited about that.

6. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

If your looking for some azureus. I have some froglets available. I'm located in burlington Ontario. Just let me know. PM me.

By the way welcome to the addiction.

7. Phgnome

Phgnome New Member

YESSSS! I'm in Toronto. I'd be more than happy to come to Burlington to pick up livestock. I don't have my tank ready yet but I'm gonna get myself in gear and get on it!

8. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

Just let me know how many you want and I can hold them for you for until your ready for them.

9. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Welcome!!

10. Ethan A

Ethan A Contributing Member

Welcome to the hobby both of you! Awesome to see people set on doing things right the first time (AKA planning ahead). Pigmycory if you're in Victoria, B.C. you're more than welcome to come check out my frogs.
    Ethan

erikm likes this.
  11. pygmycory

pygmycory Member

I would love to come and have a look at your frogs. What do you keep?

12. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

welcome

Social Sharing