New keeper with my first frog

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by ZiggyStardust, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ZiggyStardust

ZiggyStardust New Member

I picked up a lemon drop tinc on Sunday, and I set him up in a 5.5 gallon tank. I have a small heat pad on the wall and a day glo bulb hanging about 4" above the mesh lid. I put soil with small wood chunks in it as substrate, about 2.5" high. I have a piece of driftwood, a cave, a water dish and fake leaves in the tank along with forest moss to help keep in the humidity. The water dish is always full and I mist the tank twice daily. The water is conditoned tap water.

The temperature in the room is a steady 22C. He has had about four days to somewhat acclimate to his new surroundings. I have offered him 2wk crickets small ebough for him to eat as he is a good sized adult. I haven't seen him eat, though I attribute it to the scenery change stressing him out. I haven't seen him moving around the tank much either. Really, he just sits in one spot hidden mostly beneath the driftwood. Is this normal behaviour, due to re-housing stress? Am I expecting too much of him too soon?

I have special ordered fruit flies (arriving next week) and I have calcium powder, the crickets are fed Bug Burger by Repashy. I tried to upload some phone pics I have but they are too large. I am unsure how to resize them.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

Take the heat away now, Ziggy. Dart frogs don't like heat. Room temps are fine and if it get's too hot he'll die.

2 week old crix are too big. I'd say 7 day old max. They're called pinheads. Mist him too.

greenoasis1 likes this.
  3. ZiggyStardust

ZiggyStardust New Member

I'll pull the heat pad off when I get home. Ive given him crickets smaller than 3/8" only because I've read that 1/8-3/8 were acceptable for adults. I'll see if someone in town has pinheads in stock! I've had to special order them too previously. Thanks for the advice!

2 week old crix are too big. I'd say 7 day old max. They're called pinheads. Mist him too.[/quote]

4. frogfreak

3/8" are far too big and will stress the frog out, Ziggy.

No one home that can turn the heat off?

5. ZiggyStardust

ZiggyStardust New Member

I've been careful to give him crickets considerably smaller than 3/8, closer to .200". I live alone so I'll need to take the pad off myself. Thanks again for the reply!

6. MarkB

MarkB Member

You should be able to find someone local in Calgary to get some fruit flies to start your own food supply.

7. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

I can sell you fruit flys. PM sent

8. Hiller

Hiller Member

You will have to keep a close eye on the humidity with a screen mesh top. I would recommend covering it with glass but in the meantime plastic wrap would help keep the humidity level up until you found a better solution. Dart frogs need very high humidity I had a mesh top with my geckos and could not keep a steady 70-75% humidity. Until I got glass keeping humidity was a huge issue

9. ZiggyStardust

ZiggyStardust New Member

I am already thinking about revamping the setup I have. I'll take some time and view other members' enclosures and I will give him something that wasn't put together in fifteen minutes! I have a 12x12x12 Exo Terra, but I found out it wasn't escape proof for smaller crickets. I'll put some plastic wrap on the lid and I will do some more research. You guys are wicked helpful and I appreciate it.

10. Corndrunk

Corndrunk Member

Google fly proofing exos there's a bunch of little things you can do to make them great little enclosures for frogs!

11. frogfreak

I would recommend an 18" Exo cube. Lemon drops are a big Tinc. Should be anyways...

12. ZiggyStardust

ZiggyStardust New Member

I found some fruit flies tonight. The frog is out and exploring the tank as well, which I was stoked to see. Heat pad is off, plastic wrap is on! I'm on the lookout for a new house for him too.

frogfreak and greenoasis1 like this.
  13. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

Good job. :) Was nice to meet you tonight. Great to see the hobby growing here in Calgary.

Dawn

14. MarkB

MarkB Member

Ziggy

You got fruit flies now so drop the crickets permanently. Your lemon drop is much better off without them.

15. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

I echo most comments offered...I would recommend when you get a new home for your frog to try and plant it with real plants as it will help keep up the humidity. If your worried about airflow it he tank I have a tank that has a glas top and when I feed the frogs in it every few days fresh air comes into the tank and old goes out!

The last thing that I would say is please research as much as you can about care and husbandry...if you take the time to do the research you should have a happy healthy frog of r years to come

greenoasis1 likes this.

Social Sharing