NEW INFO DART FROG RESTRICTIONS IN ALBERTA

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by dawndj, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Lance

Lance Legendary Member

Its always nice to see you on the forum Mark

dawndj likes this.
  2. pinkjello

pinkjello Contributing Member

i agree..:)

3. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

On a different slightly different note...I have a few new real estate listings that are looking for new owners almost every price range...lol... maybe some of the good people in Alberta can come to a slightly more frog friendly province.

Shitty news guys and gals.

How were they tracking owners of such frogs before?

4. Spidey88

Spidey88 Member

A point I want to add to this discussion: we really don't have a very clear idea who's running the show in this regard. Mark H may not be in a position to effect any changes, nor did he change the legislation in the first place - so approaching him with hostility and frustration may be completely misplaced. If anyone is really determined to talk to him, please be polite - he may be a contact we don't want to lose. Mark H has been "put in charge of the dart frog situation"; but it may be his bosses opinions that he has to keep parroting back, not his - he may be able to put us in touch with the people really able to deal with getting things changed back.

Don't get me wrong - I'm as furious as the rest of you - but please don't barge in yelling and screaming. The thought occurred to me too, but it would probably hurt more than help. ;)

5. Spidey88

Spidey88 Member

They weren't. At all.

Enforcement will prove to be a total gong show for them if we can't effect changes.

6. SyrupOnEverything

SyrupOnEverything Member

Complete and utter bullshit.

So all dart frogs are now illegal because of the off chance that someone might someday find a more toxic species, and then manage to get it into Canada without filing any paperwork, and then... what? Even if that happens, what is the danger? This whole pretense of "protecting the public" is crap. Are they afraid someone is out there harvesting dart frog toxins as part of some diabolical scheme to poison people? Are they afraid of them getting loose and swarms of angry dart frogs rampaging through the streets emitting deadly poison gas clouds? Sorry for the hyperbole, but the level of ignorance displayed by the government in this regard has me wondering if there are people out there who actually believe these are plausible realities. They want evidence based certification, but have provided zero evidence that pet dart frogs actually pose any health or safety risk to the public.

Even if someone managed to a get a wild-caught, highly toxic species, simply following current best-practice techniques in regards to keeping and handling is enough to negate any danger. Any harm that could arise would be a result of negligence or malevolence on the part of the keeper, and these people should be prosecuted accordingly. Why should we all be made to suffer because a very few may be irresponsible? Should we all have to give up our dogs because some could attack? Should we make driving illegal for everyone because some people drive drunk?

I will be giving this Mark Heckbert a call today, what else can I do to help fight this thing? Do we have an official cause or movement to garner support for? Not that it ever seems to make a difference but can we start a petition? I would be happy to volunteer my time to collecting signatures and creating awareness. Dawn I'm with you in regards to looking into getting a lawyer to challenge this. I bet we could crowdsource the legal fees.

Talz and greenoasis1 like this.
  7. pinkjello

I FB'd Grant Crossman (Grant Crossman, owner of the Port Credit Pet Centre and acting executive director of Canherp (a national association of reptile and amphibian keepers that works to preserve, foster and grow the reptile and amphibian hobby in Canada). I spoke to him briefly, but although I dont want to bombard him - i think maybe someone could take on speaking to him about this issue ?? Especially someone from Calgary? To see what he has to offer..

8. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

We have contacted canherp with ZERO results.

Dawn

9. pete arrows

pete arrows Contributing Member

It is a travesty that this law has passed. Unfortunately, people in power can possibly be of a megalomaniacal bent. Over my lifetime
    there seems to be a steady erosion of common sense. More laws are enacted than are rescinded. The people in power may need to
    feel relevant and justify their job. I am hopeful that reason will prevail.

K-Dart likes this.
  10. Spidey88

Spidey88 Member

I've tried contacting him too, with no results. If you actually get some contact info for him, please send it my way!

11. pinkjello

hmmmmm okay, thats not good..he did respond to me once..but havent had a chance to send him another message. Ill keep trying.

12. Bubbles88

Bubbles88 Member

13. Brandon B

Brandon B Contributing Member

Just wondering what the other forgers are doing with their frogs right now. Since we are suppose to no longer have frogs after april 30th, are you guys keeping your frogs and hoping the changes, moving your frogs out of province, or selling?
    I am not sure what i should do with mine.

Thanks

14. rastaangel

rastaangel Member

I live in SK and I would be more then happy to take a few breeding/sexed pairs of frogs from people in Alberta if nothing comes of this before the end of April. I'll prob make a post closer to then

15. Sciocleseus

Sciocleseus New Member

I have an update on the Alberta dart frog legality issue. I contacted Alberta Fish and Wildlife about what I'm supposed to do with my animals and just this morning I received this message:

Unfortunately I have already euthanized 9 tadpoles, but fortunately I have left my frogs leap happily around their viv.

16. H2-0

H2-0 Moderator Staff Member

That seems like great news, thanks for the update!

17. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

Wow I wonder who we have to thank. Fantastic news!

brayden likes this.
  18. daviss_36

daviss_36 Member

sorry you hear about your tadpoles but all in all great new for yous in alberta

19. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Amazing news...maybe public outcry from a small group of froggers actually caught the ear of our elected officials!

20. 41714049

41714049 Contributing Member

That is a big step in the right direction!

greenoasis1 likes this.

Social Sharing