New concept tree vivarium (Build thread)

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by mmorra, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mmorra

mmorra Member

I'm collecting large computer heatsinks with fans on them to mount the new 30 watt leds i ordered from ebay.
    This installation will be slow.

2. mmorra

mmorra Member

I took your advice drew, I ordered 10 royal blue CREE LEDs and 40 degree optics for night lighting.

The 30Watt 1 amp LED flood lights do not have optics but I think I will be mounting them on angles shining into the tank rather than just sitting flat on top. I will be mounting all of the LEDS directly to a semi thick sheet of aluminum which I will probably bend and crease to make a reflective hood with larger heatsinks mounted adjacent on the other side. The 30 watt LED(s), of which there will be 5, two cool white, 3 warm white will have CPU heatsinks with computer fans mounted on them should they need further temperature regulation.

I'll have to design it well so that it doesn't look too space age...

3. mmorra

mmorra Member

So I have all the building materials
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161019462066?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170630970183?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151073766574?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360685879615?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111108261410?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I also found 4 large computer processor heatsinks with mounted fans for the 30W LEDs to cool them down. I will be getting a ridgid aluminum sheet metal 20" by 20" to mounteverything to. I'll have to cut out 4 holes for the large LEDs. These things are very very bright.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    ..[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    frogfreak and 31drew31 like this.
  4. mmorra

mmorra Member

Here is the list so far..

-60 degree optics (x10)
    -CREE LED fakes (x10) Royal blue
    -Heatsink grease
    -WARM white 30W LEDS (x2)
    -COOL white 30W LEDS (x2)
    -4 CPU processor heatsinks w/fans
    -36V-9.6A Power source w/ internal heatsink and fan.
    -wiring
    -sodder

- Large pannel of aluminum sheet metal to mount everything to (need to design)
    - Light directing hood (need to design)

Each 30Watt LED draws 33-35VOLTS and 1.05 AMPS. After 4 are wired to the power source they will pull only 4.2 AMPS from the 9.6 that are available. I'll dial it down to 5AMPS and 34VOLTS to not overload the system. The power source I bought is adjustable and built in the USA.

Specs
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161019462066?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

5. mmorra

mmorra Member

also I have a spider mite problem... I guess they were already there in low numbers in the wood from the beginning (as the tree is completely surrounded by a mote of water) but there populations have since exploded... Some of my orchids have suffered leaf and bulb loss and there is webbing surrounding the base of others...

I am looking into buying some predatory mites from Natural Insect Control but first I will be doing a CO2 bomb with dry ice and maybe an insecticidal soap... Any suggestions?

6. Epiphile

Epiphile Contributing Member

That sounds like a good route to go. Phytoseilus persimilis looks like the only real cost-effective biological control for spider mite on the NIC site. I'm surprised that they're so problematic for you: I thought that the higher humidity would control their numbers to a point. Dish soap will work just as well as an insecticidal soap, in my experience, and it's a great way to bring their numbers down before applying your bios.

Also, I can't wait to see these LEDs in action. You don't have a light meter to test the output, do you? I don't know why everyone uses blue for night lighting, though: I believe the colour temperature of moonlight is 4100K.

7. mmorra

mmorra Member

Hey epiphile, Don't plants absorb the blue spectrum primarily? red for flowering? That's what I thought anyways and I thought it would be a good way to increase foliage growth.

I also am very excited but I am not sure when it will be completely operational.

The tank needs a lot of maintenance... I need..

- a filter and pump to pump old water to the top of the tree so that I don't waste so much rain water everyday through excess misting
    - to get rid of the grapevine and make the wire-reinforced rope/silicone/ecoearth fake vines to control molding.
    - to redo the mistking mounts and move the lower 4 up a foot to reach the middle of the tree better

I'll buy a lightmeter next month to test them, but I am sure this lighting will be too much for the plants... I am regretting getting the 30 Watt LED's because they are just SO BRIGHT. 20 or 10 watt would have been a better call for sure!

The soap.. will it hurt the plants? since I have treefern fiber behind the hygrolon the soap will most likely be persistent for a few days...

8. 31drew31

31drew31 Contributing Member

Neem oil works well for mites as well. I do multiple applications to catch freshly hatched. Very safe for orchids at recommended dose.

Epiphile likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

looking forward to the wiring diagram(hint, hint). Hwo many drivers did you get?

10. mmorra

mmorra Member

Just the one big one for the 4 main LEDS. for the 10 CREE LEDS I'll have to figure something out.

They are 3W each, so 10 would add to 30W, each one requires 3.5V and they each draw 0.7 amps so 10 in series will need 35V, 7A right?

Looks like I wont be able to wire those along with the 4X30Watt LEDS (in parallel) which combined draw ~5A because the power supply only offers 9A..

Input voltage is additive when you run these things in series right?

11. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

12. Epiphile

Epiphile Contributing Member

Plants need the night time without light to complete metabolic processes related to growth, and this can be interrupted by even short periods of light; I would try and make sure that the light is dim enough that it's not useful for photosynthesis if you're looking to push your plants.

The blue light/red light thing always comes up because a certain very pervasive, 'weedy' crop is discussed ad nauseum online and at your local hydroponics store. I think that for plants nearer the equator used to a consistent quality of light year round, varying the colour temperature may not really be of much use. Full-spectrum lamps like daylight fluorescents give us everything we need to grow and flower most vivarium plants.

The soap shouldn't hurt the plants, though I've never tried it on mosses and things like that. Give it a good rinse afterwards, of course.

Drew likes this.
  13. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

cant wait to see more! love how detailed your post is

14. mmorra

mmorra Member

So I bought a vintage fogger back when they used to make things right. Here is the mock up.

The fog comes out very dense and very fast. the tank fills in a few seconds and then rushes out the ventilation at the bottom of the tank. I may need to block off some of that ventilation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  15. mmorra

mmorra Member

-not enough light- LED's keep on dying- need to get new lighting up and running
    -many orchids have dropped their leaves
    -things have been drying out too much
    -need to find a robust pump to recycle the dirty water in the moat to the top of the tree to continuously flush the hygrolon because it is drying out too fast

Can anyone suggest a pump?

Should I consider designing a small sump?

16. Corndrunk

Corndrunk Member

Look at the mag drive pumps most use for salt tank sumps Fairly quiet and reliable I think this place isnt far from Guelph http://mops.ca/ and they have the best prices on pumps from what i can remember

17. mwringe

mwringe Member

Oh wow, that is almost the exact same type of humidifier I had when growing up. I remember doing all sort fun we had playing with the fog that would come out of that thing.

Epiphile likes this.
  18. singhm29

singhm29 Member

What kind of lift do you need from the pump?

19. mmorra

mmorra Member

4 feet roughly. Not a lot of volume but just a steady flow

20. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

How about a canister filter?

Social Sharing