need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by frogfreak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

Hi

We posted the same question on dedroboard.

Well our cuurrent vivs are almost finished :)We currently have some tree frogs and Mantellas. We have room for 6- 18 x 18 x 24h exo terras or 3- 36 x 18 x 24h exo terras untill we move into a bigger home. ;)

We are asking for reccommendations on what size tanks to use and for what species of PDF's.Thanks.

2. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

HI guys
    I am no expert but you can put virtually any frog into those tanks...Anything with height I would save for thumbs or frogs that can really make use of it like Leucs (although my Azureus use my whole 18x18x18)... any tank that has lots of floor space would be good for a terristrial frog like Azureus, Auratus, Tincs, Bicolors, mints etc

But really pick the frogs you like and find the most appealing. Put those in the tank and you'll enjoy it no matter what

3. frogfreak

Hi

We've read a lot to stay awat from thumbs as a beginner frog :-S What's the reason for this? We have Mantellas and they are doing fine in there new homes. What we are looking for are frogs that are a little bolder and that can be seen regularly. The Mantellas are shy and the tree frogs are nocturnal. Still great frogs though. Feedin times fun :)

thanx

4. ziggi

ziggi Member

I personally would go with 3 36x18x24's.
    And have some groups of bold larger frogs like leucs and auratus in there.

If you want as well you could have a mixture of 2 large tanks and maybe have 1 tank divided in half creating 2 18x18x24 for thumbs and the other 2 larger tanks for the larger frogs.

That's what I would do anyways :)

5. Kwazarr

Kwazarr Contributing Member

I guess, for me, it would depend on how many species I'd want to be keeping. If I were wanting to keep more, I'd probably go with several of the 18x18x24's or put dividers in the larger ones. Regardless of what you decide to go with, I think that either size would work well for whatever type of frog you decide to go with, terrestrial or arboreal.

Now you guys were asking about why it's recommended to stay away from thumbnails as beginner frogs. There are a few reasons why it's recommended. 1.) Size and speed - these guys are tiny and can often escape from tanks if you're not careful or if the tank isn't properly sealed. 2.) Sensitivity - some species may be very sensitive to their environments and particularly changes therein. 3.) Breeding - some species may require very specific conditions to successfully breed, may be very difficult to breed, or have very sensitive developmental phases where mortality rates tend to be high if conditions are not carefully monitored and maintained (ie pumilio, reticulatus).

Now that being said, there are certainly some that are much easier to work with than others and if you've already got some successful experience under your betls with mantellas I don't see why you wouldn't be able to try something a little more advanced (that is if you feel comfortable and confident in doing so). Imitators are relatively easy thumbs to work with...they are small and quick, but they are fun and bold and otherwise fairly simple to work with. If you were interested in thumbnails, I'd highly recommend these guys as a good species to start with. Dendroboard has a pretty good care sheet for these guys and you can certainly get loads of information about proper care from many of the members here.

Anyways, those are my two cents.

Cheers,

Ross.

6. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

Ah yes - this is my favourite time - EMPTY TANKS!!!!

If it was me and I had the space, I would want as many different frogs as possible - so I'd go for the 6 18x18x24's. They are a good sized tank that offers both decent floor space and lots of height. So, 6 tanks, means 6 groups or pairs of frogs. Here's what I'd use 'em for:

Tank #1: Group of 4 nominal imitators (approx $75/frog)
    Tank #2: Group of 4 Veradero imitators (approx $200/frog)
    Tank #3: Trio of Southern Variabilis (approx $175/frog)
    Tank #4: Pair of Oophaga Pumilio (any morph) (approx $125/frog)
    Tank #5: Pair of Citronella Tincs (approx $75/frog)
    Tank #6: Pair of Azureus (approx $60/frog)

And Ross covered exactly why thumbs are considered advanced - basically, they are smaller, faster and more fragile.

Let us know what you guys decide on!

7. Frogkeeper

Frogkeeper Member

I think if you have been keeping mantellas for a while you should be fine with keeping thumbs. They are a bit touchy and do get out easily but so are mantellas.

Wayne

8. frogfreak

Hi

For the first tank we decided to go with Leucs. We're gonna get our feet wet a bit with PDF's before we get into a more intermediate frog like thumbs. We heard nothing but good about leucs. We're are now working on an 36 x 18 x 24 exo for these guys and the frogs are allready ordered. We figure 4-6 weeks and they will be ready to go in :) We're pretty excited! HE HE :)

9. JustinF

JustinF Contributing Member

Post some built pics please, I am at the same stage as you right now and would love to see what this all becomes! :D

10. frogfreak

What's the best way to post pics? Haven't figured that one out yet. We're not that great with computers :-/

11. Kwazarr

Kwazarr Contributing Member

An easy way to do it is to go to a photo site such as www.photobucket.com or www.flickr.com and uploap your photos there. I can't remember if flickr offers it or not, but I at least know that photobucket allows you to even edit your photos online. So once you have your photos uploaded and you're happy with them, you will be able to find little boxes below or adjacent to the pictures that will contain what look to be like links. Usually there are 4 different types that you'll see, but you will want to copy the one for your photo that starts with or [img]. These are the ones that will allow your pictures to just show up on any given post without having to click a link. One thing you'll want to keep in mind is that for Canadart, your pictures can't be any bigger than 480x640 or 640x480 pixels, so if your pics are bigger, you can decrease their size using the online photo editor. I hope I didn't make your heads spin here...writing about it always sounds much more complicated, but it's all pretty straight forward once you're actually on the site itself.

Can't wait to see your pics!

Ross.

12. frogfreak

We can't get our pics to post X( It keeps saying it can't read the pic sizes. There's 12 at 640 x 480 and they won't take.
    I'm Losing it o_O

13. afterdark

It's possible that even though your pics are the right dimensions, they might exceed the file size limit. I'm not sure about Canadart, but some forums have a limit on the number of Kilobytes as well as the dimensions.

Sorry I can't be more helpful - if you want to email the photos to me, I would be happy to host/post them from my Flickr account.

mikeesmith at hotmail dot com :)

14. frogfreak

Hi

Deep breath :(( Let me just just try 1 pic then and see what happens :-/

15. afterdark

Hi Glenn and Laura,

Here are your pictures. In the future, when you want to post them use the code that's listed in the 'IMG Code' box at the bottom right. Here is the link to the page where you can find the appropriate code. http://s557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16 ... rium-1.jpg

I didn't label any of them - so you'll have to tell us what we're looking at.

Looks like you guys are off to a GREAT start. I really like the centerpiece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. afterdark

Hi Glenn and Laura,

Here are your pictures. In the future, when you want to post them use the code that's listed in the 'IMG Code' box at the bottom right. Here is the link to the page where you can find the appropriate code. http://s557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16 ... rium-1.jpg

I didn't label any of them - so you'll have to tell us what we're looking at.

Looks like you guys are off to a GREAT start. I really like the centerpiece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. sNApple

sNApple Contributing Member

hey where did you buy these?

[​IMG]

thanks

18. frogfreak

Hi

They are staples for your cable for your TV. Crappy tire,home depot will have them. They are cheap and if you use pliers you can use them over and over :)

19. frogfreak

Thanks a lot for posting the pics for us!!! We feel so dum. We'll get the hang of this sooner or later :">

We thought we would try something a little different with the silicone on the glass. We did 3 others and we found it hard to get it even an get good coverage. It's so sticky. We used a 3/16" notched trowel for the first coat. It went on great. The 2nd. coat we put on at an angle to the first and it covered great. 2 coats done and no fix ups.

The other thing we did different this time was to use lanscape fabric on the back of the eggcrate. We used plastic last time and it didn't cure properly. we're assuming it couln't breathe. We did a light coat and after 15 minutes stood it up so it could breathe. it worked very well. For the next 3 layers we used the cable staples to fasten the eggcrate to some plywood. Our last ones bowed on us. It worked out good too

Sorry for the meltdown. This machine was p*****g me off.

20. -RPN-

-RPN- Legendary Member

Glenn and Laura,

You guys have something great going on over there. Those tanks are looking great thus far. I am shocked.
    It really looks like you have done loads of research prior to jumping into the building part.
    I can not wait to follow this thread! Thanks for sharing these great pictures with us.

Social Sharing