my favorite frog

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by Lo)2enz0, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Lo)2enz0

Lo)2enz0 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

one day i will have a group of them

i will have to settle with some tricolors or something for now for my vert

2. Lo)2enz0

lol no comments, i am sure you all saw it on dendroboard

3. SLDDave

SLDDave Contributing Member

I wasn't going to say anything. I love it's color though!

4. Lo)2enz0

na, i just thought that posting some more topics canadart will get moving again.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

very nice looking frog thoguh haha

6. SLDDave

I hear that, I remember a time when there were daily topics, not weekly topics. Hmmmmmmmmm

7. SLDDave

I've been thinking lately about the hobby as a whole in Canada and how it hasn't caught on to the extent of the hobby in the US. Has everyone seen those Telus commercials where they have bright colored animals doing funny things to music? The latest ones being a monkey watering a treefrog and another one with a chameleon. I was thinking darts would really catch on if Telus made a commercial with brightly colored darts doing funny things to music! People simply just don't know about these animals and I think a televised commercial of sorts would really spark interest.

8. Lo)2enz0

its so true, people love red eye tree frogs just because of the commercial

but i have a total hatred for telus (i work for shaw)

i still don't know why there hasn't been a boom in the dart frog hobby, its been the same for years, just a few people here and there. I know when martin and I had tables at the reptile shows people would always seem interested cause they loved the look of the frogs but no one really justifies the prices. Down in the usa you can get auratus for $20 and tinc's for $45ish but since its an economy that is so restricted we are bound to still pay prices that are more than in the usa. Its the same with cars. some engine electronics you can order them from the usa for like $400 shipped but if you go to a shop your looking at paying $800ish

but my point is that right now only the people who really like the frogs have them. out here i can count on my hands the number of people in calgary who own more than one species. but we do live in reptile world where snakes and lizards dominate

9. MartyA

MartyA Contributing Member

I remember those days Laurier, but actually the prices are getting MUCH better up here. In the classifieds there is pair of CB powder blues for 150/pr... Back when we first started I remember we both got WC adult Powder Blues for 150$ ea (I mention this because WC are usually cheap). Also its only recently that our dollar has been very close to matching the US dollar. Back when we first started a 40 US dollar frog could have cost us around 60 CAD. All in all the USA does have alot more people in the hobby and more businesses. Also as far as I know the US businesses have made better relationships with alot of the exporters so they usually get alot of the frogs. Just look at all those 'Rio, Cristobal, U River', and Basties that the US have gotten this past year which I have yet to notice for sale up here.

Anyways since you brought up the shows we use to do, remember all the people that walked past our table telling their kids that there was no reason to stop and look because all of our frogs were plastic (which they were far from)... :).

Edited: Man I sometimes cannot spell or write properly :).

10. Lo)2enz0

lol i was thinking the same thing when i was typing that up

well really marty your right. prices have gotten alot better up here in the past couple of years. I probably was raging cause i was looking into a boost controller today and on the net i can get it for $300usd and in a shop here they want almost 600. but like tincs for example, i paid $100 each for 10 4 years ago and now you can get a single one for 70ish. ron and mark have both been doing awsome i just wish there was more interest so we could have something like frog day

11. SLDDave

true that

12. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

Yes Lorenzo that is true. Here things are much slower. It seems the US is like 20yrs. behind Europe in darts and we are like min. 20 yrs. behind the US when it comes to darts.

On one good note business has been good for me since I morphed out my 80+ babies and business has been steady. That is why you never see me at the shows :cry: as I end up selling everything right from home where I can give people the personal touch like show them all the setups, explain proper care and husbandry so that when they go home they feel confident about looking after these jewels.

And prices are much better. I remember getting my first Azureus and them costing me 120 ea Can. now hell they sell for 80 ea. and you don't end up getting 1 month olds like you can get 3+ month olds for that price.

Also as for posts slowing down well it was summer and for people like myself with a full time job, 2 small kids and over 200 frogs there just isn't the time to be on here that often. I know I promised to post pics of diff. things but honestly till now haven't had any spare time to take, and post them as helping the kids with their school work and looking after all those frogs and 80 babies to clean out 3x per week really eats up all your free time.

If it wasn't for my love of these guys I wouldn't do it. As you know you are lucky to break even with the cost of crickets to feed those hungry guys.

Well hopeully in the future I will have some nice new frogs to offer to everyone here.

Best.
    Ron Jung at RAINFOREST DESIGNS UNLTD.

13. Lo)2enz0

ya ron your doing a great job with the hobby, i just wish there was more interest in the alberta region. btw, still waiting on those yellowbacks lol

14. Max Power

Max Power Member

You're not the only one :(

15. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

The yellowbacks I have at the moment are the reduced yellowbacks aka lemondrops. If either of you are interested in those please email me privately at poisonarrowfrogs@3web.net.

Best.
    Ron Jung at RAINFOREST DESIGNS UNLTD.

Social Sharing