Mixing species

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by frogfreak, Oct 22, 2013.

1. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

Do you have pics up on the forum, Dale?

2. Dale D

Dale D Contributing Member

There are old ones on here some where of when I first set it up.
    I did a major pruning on it a little while ago.
    I had to remove 3 or 4 ferns that had taken over the tank.
    It mostly has broms in it now and needs to grow back in.
    I'll see if I can get a new picture of it tonight when I get home.

3. Dale D

[​IMG][/[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    Mellywell likes this.
  4. Dale D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  5. Dale D

I don't have a fancy background just the exo terra foam one, but, I hope to have it all covered with plants in the future.

6. frogfreak

It looks great, Dale!!

7. Corndrunk

Corndrunk Member

To be honest with the landscaping and plants I didn't even notice the background! I think it looks really good!!:D

Mellywell likes this.
  8. Dale D

I didn't want to go the GS and coco fiber background route in case I wanted to sell it as an aquarium down the road.
    I guess I could have put silicone and coco fiber on the exo terra foam pieces and set them up against the back the way they are now.

9. pete arrows

pete arrows Contributing Member

I consider myself an "expert", I have been in the herp hobby for 45 years, I bought my first dart frog 40 years ago and have kept over 1000 species
    of herps (from snakes to caecilians), and some that are now extinct. my "expert" opinion.

10. pete arrows

you cannot compare species co-existing in the wild to the confined space of a vivarium.

11. pete arrows

"the hobby is still young"! what is "young" to you, I know people that have been in the hobby for 40 - 50 years, myself included. you are being very
    general, it is hard for me to imagine that you read that water features are bad, some species have tads that are cannibalistic, some are easily kept
    in groups, tincs are best kept in pairs, any species of reptile/amphibian that is territorial will surpress it in a small enclosure (the stress level of the
    individuals will be great), but the larger the enclosure the more the urge to establish a territory.
    enclosure

12. frogfreak

Congrats, Pete. But, we don't really "know" you. 95% + of your posts are For sale posts. You should post more! ;)

13. frogfreak

Young being the hobby is not mainstream, like reefing or reptiles and such. Yes, the hobby has been around a while, but there were issues just keeping the WC frogs alive back then, So I'm told anyways....

It's common knowledge that people preach "no water features" in vivs due to the frogs drowning, Pete. I believe they are a great benefit to the frogs and have water features in all my displays.

It is the cannibalistic tads we're talking about here and people preach that you can't raise them communally. Not so. Many are doing it now with great success.

http://www.canadart.org/index.php?threads/why-pull.9311/

http://www.canadart.org/index.php?threads/tank-raised-tinc-tads.7600/

I used to follow that rule of thumb, but it's just not the case anymore and not accurate. Keeping Tincs in groups can be a benefit to breeding. Sometimes competition will PROMOTE breeding with stubborn frogs.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/dendrobates/132810-la-fumee-tincs.html

[​IMG]

Cheers!

14. Mellywell

Mellywell Member

I'm sure you have all seen Justin Grimms video of his peninsula which had both arboreal and terrestrial frogs.

It's the video that started it all for me. And the leucs calling video

One day.....

15. pete arrows

I don't know what you mean by "plenty", but from the numerous herp keepers and breeders that I have personally visited in europe I would say
    roughly 10 % had a mixed tank. the ones that did had only one mixed tank which was always a large show tank as the center piece of their
    set-up. I will give you one example, one breeder of dart frogs, geckos and anoles had in his living room a mixed tank with the dimensions
    of approx. 8ft long, 3ft deep and 4ft high. in it he had a stream going down the midde of the tank that branched out to different parts of the
    tank. in the stream were small fish such as neon tetras. he had a rare anole species (don't remember which) that he had collected himself.
    there were several dart species, P. terribilis, D. tinctorius etc. I asked him if he had any breeding success in that tank to which the answer
    was no. there were however occasional causualties due to stress. as these frogs were excess from his breeding programs he would just
    replace them.
    as to "If experienced, you will see issues before you will see deaths" I tend to disagree. of the attributes knowledge, experience, observation
    I rate observation of your animals as the most important. my personal experience is that by the time you see the issue it is often too late.
    if you do want to have a mixed tank I suggest a single frog species with one or two gecko species that are from a different family.
    I have had success in the past with L. lugubris and frogs, P. klemmeri and frogs and currently have a pair of L. williamsi and G. albogularis
    together. even though both species are very territorial (I would not keep two pairs of the same species together even in a large tank),
    they ignore each other.

16. Corndrunk

Corndrunk Member

Ive read on a couple other sites about how keeping mixed tanks in europe is common. Maybe they were talking out their behinds because it gets some people riled up but either way i understood its common over there too!

17. Dale D

There have been a few people on one of the other forums talking about putting 2 different species in the same tank.
    Surprisingly there haven't been any death threats posted yet.

18. frogfreak

You can say the word DB or Dendroboard on here. :p ;)

I saw those too. One tank has many that can crossbreed too. o_O

19. pinkjello

pinkjello Contributing Member

has anyone in the world ever reported any cross breeding - ever...? Im curious about that topic...I think ill google to see what i can find...

20. frogfreak

Yes, pics of Hybrids are out there and in Lotters book.

Social Sharing