Mixing species

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by frogfreak, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Sorry.....I was just thinking if anyone wanted details on my specific tanks but was afraid to ask out loud and be 'labelled' as I have been :)

2. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

So I figured since I have a thick skin I'd go ahead and change my avatar. :). I don't like 'being in the closet' and am glad Glenn decided to start an open and respectful dialogue about this particular topic.

3. snorklboy

snorklboy Contributing Member

My two bits are large enough enclosure, completely different species that can't hybridize and a close eye on aggression and you can have mix tanks. I am about to finish setting up a mixed tank of an arboreal species and a terrestrial species. I never even considered it an 'offense' because there are no hybrid and aggression issues with the species I have chosen and these threads have popped up right now making me question going through with it. A fish tank is a great example of mixing species from different regions that would never interact but can also never hybridize and having great success. And I have kept ALOT of saltwater fish and their aggression trumps frogs. Bottom line I will put together a mixed tank of frogs that will enjoy the top broms and frogs that will enjoy the bottom terrain. If it is selfish then how can keeping anything as a pet not be considered selfish, that is a poor reason to put others down for doing so just because you don't want to.

pinkjello likes this.
  4. frogfreak

frogfreak Legendary Member

Again, it's done all the time in Europe, so why are mixed tanks taboo here? This I don't get...

I started this because people dance around the topic all the time. It's talked about all the time. Yes, V's thread prompted me to start a thread, but I also had someone asking me yesterday about mixing Darts and small gecko's.

Now we have Snorklboy second guessing himself because he doesn't want to get "labelled" Mike as well. Seems a little silly to me...

pinkjello likes this.
  5. Mellywell

Mellywell Member

Awesome thread. Very respectable opinions and discussions. I'm definitely on the right forum.
    Bravo.
    Melissa

frogfreak likes this.
  6. PWall

PWall Contributing Member

I have a slightly different view which will go a little off topic:
    As I have been to many of the shows the last 2 years (great meeting everyone) in Ontario there was a recurring theme to many of the people that had darts but didn't anymore; It died, they died, lost them, disappeared, died, died. They didn't die because of mixing tanks, they were 1 species in a tank.
    The issue I have is the husbandry of the frogs, not so much the mixing of the species which in many cases is not where it should be. I think some people view darts as a disposable pet, but that would be another topic.

Now back on track for Glenn's original question, I think most people that mix tanks just don't have the space. I am not making a blanket statement here but if you were blessed with a partner that allowed you to have a room full of tanks you might not be inclined to mix. I might be way off base here as some people just like to see the interaction.

IMO As long as the frogs are well fed, they should do fine in a mixed tank as some members have proven. Just please don't hybridize.

Tinc don't climb!

7. frogfreak

That very well could be why you see more in Europe and why it's accepted there.

8. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

[quote="Tinc don't climb![/quote]

Tinc's can climb,they may not need to climb that often but they will if they want to.

Here's a photo taken in the wild in Kwamalasamutu, Sipaliwini district Suriname
    Showing a tinc climbing a tree. http://travel.mongabay.com/suriname/images/suriname_2507.html

Regarding this topic of mixing, I believe in Europe they mix tanks more often mainly because of lack of space,there's probably not as many people living in homes with large basements to put in 50 or more tanks in.
    Actually not many home have basements in Europe like we do in North America.
    Most likley they are young people living in a small apartment with not that much space.

Many Zoo's have mix tanks,our Toronto Zoo has/had a mix tank for years.(They're usually called "Rainbow Tanks" )

I don't think mixing is for everyone,I have told people at expos that you shouldn't mix mainly because of hybridizing,usually these are people that are new to frogs let alone dart frogs,they are probably from the snake or gecko hobbies where they on purpose want to create hybrids for new colours and traits. but I've also said to people theoretically you can mix species if they do not have agression to each other and will not hybridize.

It's a slippery slope if you tell people it's okay to mix without explaining what is okay and what is not.

I don't mind if people want to have mix tanks if they are aware of what they are doing and not just throwing in 3 or 5 species into one tank to see all their great colours in one tank.

I have had a mix tank of auratus and tricolours in the past with no problems with both species breeding for years.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    Popliteal, frogfreak and snorklboy like this.
  9. Dale D

Dale D Contributing Member

When I was in the reef hobby Europe was always 5 to 10 years ahead of us.
    Maybe in 10 years it will be more accepted here.

Dendromad likes this.
  10. frogfreak

Phil, the "Tincs can't climb" comment was a joke. :p

Thanks for your input!

11. greenoasis1

Oops.....Never heard before that tincs couldn't climb......I didn't get the joke.:eek::confused::oops:

12. frogfreak

It's written on DB a lot and it's kinda an inside joke. When people come visit my frog room and the Tincs are from top to bottom, most say:

Yeah..."Tincs don't climb" lol

13. greenoasis1

I don't go on to DB that often..I guess I missed the ..."Tincs don't climb" posts.

14. FwoGiZ

FwoGiZ Contributing Member

Even experts still learn as they go eh? I think Phil has been in this hobby (and around!) long enough to be considered an expert tho but that's my opinion ;)

I kinda see it the same way... I just feel it would be a pretty good idea to do around 2 years with frogs, before starting mixing. I think you need some field (tank) experience before trying to mix, even if you "have been lurking the forums forever, and read everything".

I made very few attempt at mixing because of that very reason, I just didn't see the purpose, other than watching the interactions! Which is legit.

So I know this is canaDART, but what about mixing with other frogs? Other animals?
    I have seen success with diurnal/nocturnal mix animals, frogs/gecko, frogs/fishes. What do you all think about that?
    I think it's all the same; do your homework, make sure you know what you're doing, proper setup and care, etc

15. greenoasis1

I don't consider myself an expert.

I don't think there are hobbiests that are true experts there is always something new to learn on keeping dartfrogs
    You can learn new things from people that have only been in the hobby a short amount of time to someone that has been in the hobby a long time.
    The advantage now for people starting in the hobby is the internet.
    Having forums like this.
    When I started,there was no internet and information was hard to find.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    frogfreak likes this.
  16. pinkjello

pinkjello Contributing Member

I was bashed on dendroboard 6 years ago because I posted some pictures of my two green auratus sleeping with my leuc, the luec was inbetween the two auratus' and they were all cosy-like...and they slept like that every single night for almost a year. The leuc was always between the two auratus. It was if they had a routine..and they had buried kind of a small hole for their sleeping area, so I watched as one auratus sqeezed himself in, then the leuc followed then the 2nd auratus squeezed in. They all jiggled a bit until comfortable and then they were still - and the lights went out at that point. Then in the morning I would turn on the lights and they would come out of the hole and run around doing their business but when it was bedtime I would always find them in that same position. I never once saw them change their positions. Unfortunately I had to sell them due to back surgery, but there was no agression, no fights, nothing ever happened with these three. I thought it was a wonderful thing to see so I posted some pictures about my experience.

I dont like posting about my frog life now because of that bashing session. It was horrific and I was quite traumatized about the words that were coming out of people's mouths...Its sad really...people need to learn how to give advice rather then taking it upon themselves to tell you what to do and saying ignorant things. We are all here to learn and we need to keep learning from other's experiences. I think that there will always be mixing - people will always try it due to lack of equipment, space, so we need to learn how to deal with these questions that people have on the subject rather then immediately bashing them. (just my 2 cents :)

17. frogfreak

Hi Gwynneth,

I agree 100% and this is another reason I wanted to discuss this delicate topic. No need for throwing stones at one another and I think if we can talk about it rationally, it will be right here on Canadart, our Canadian dart frog forum. carl:)

Mellywell, dawndj, h2osanity and 2 others like this.
  18. PaddedWall

PaddedWall Member

Of course us Canadians are less likely to bash on people. We are known for being polite, eh? :)

Dendromad, h2osanity and pinkjello like this.
  19. Dale D

Dale D Contributing Member

I'm new to the PDF thing (1.5 years) so I wouldn't try mixing now but it would be nice to think that one day my 210 gallon tank could hold more than just 4 tincs.

20. Dendromad

Dendromad Contributing Member

[quote="Dale D, post: 52279, member: 5919"I'm English hen I was in the reef hobby Europe was always 5 to 10 years ahead of us.
    Maybe in 10 years it will be more accepted here.[/quote]
    Haha that is so true for this hobby also( and banking, phones, car insurance etc...its a little joke between my wife and I that Canada seems 10years behind in many things. No offence meant) Im English and Europe is far more developed in this hobby. The Germans and Dutch are years ahead of everyone else in Europe as well.

H2-0 and h2osanity like this.

Social Sharing