Mint terribilis

Discussion in 'Members Frogs & Vivariums' started by Daystorm, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Daystorm

Daystorm Member

Well, I thought I'd post some pics of my babies, since I haven't posted any in more than a few months. My mints are doing great! (Thanks Ron!) and are little bellies on four legs. They are always looking at me as if they are hungry, only the little pot bellies just tells me they are lying! I've had them since april and already one of them is beginning to tentatively call! (I saw it I swear!) I also already want to redo the tank, but that can wait until I have to move!

As for my mantella, I lost one recently. Not sure how old they were when I got them, but they told me at understory that these guys were already adult. Not sure what happened either. I still have at least one, I don't know if I had three or two, since they are so shy!!! I have seen the biggest one though, the one I assume is female. I don't know where the last one is! It is sad, I know. When I move, I'm going to take them (or her) out and clean up the tank for something else, moving the mantella to a smaller viv.

Anyways, there are no pics of mantella here lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tsunami

Tsunami Contributing Member

Nice frogs. I wish you luck on the calling frog.

They dont seem skinny and to say the truth... they're chubby. :wink: The frog on the last pic seems stuck in the brom and looking for help :lol:

What kind of mantella do you have ?

3. Jason Guthrie

Jason Guthrie Contributing Member

Sweet pics.... :wink: mints are for sure on my want list for the near future... Anyways somr awesome frogs you got threre... thanks for sharing!!!!

4. frog_newbie

frog_newbie Member

I love the pic of the fat guy trying to sqeeze into the Brom :p

5. Daystorm

Daystorm Member

lol that's one of my favorite pics too, he (or she) squeezes into the brom almost every night.

And yeah, they are pudgy! You should see the size of the crickets they inhale! I used to be worried that the crickets would be too big, now I'm worried that they're too small! At least they are easy to feed once they get this big, since I don't have to special order smaller crickets every two months or so.

I have mantella viridis. They are cute little things... when you can see them. No offense to those who love mantella, but they are defenitely not on my future list of frogs I must have. I am totally loving the large and in charge darts!

If you saw the way they act when I spray the viv, you would think I was starving them! They go after everything that moves, including drops of water falling off of the plants!

6. frog_newbie

frog_newbie Member

If you want, in your face, bold frogs maybe you should add Alanis Tincs to your want list. I think if I held a fruit fly by the wings they would eat out of my hand they are that bold. They also seem to be a bit more aboreal then I hear Tincs are supposed to be. Half the time I look at them they are on the glass.

Bruce

7. -RPN-

-RPN- Legendary Member

Those are by far the coolest frogs. My 2008 list includes a couple for sure.
    Thanks for teasing us!!!

8. Daystorm

Daystorm Member

Thanks for the recomendation! It is really hard to judge arboreal with the size of our tanks compared to what they live in in the wild. They may love to climb a little in the wild, but they have bigger trees than we can place in our vivs! :) They may not go up high enough to be considered arboreal in the wild, but because of our tank sizes, we tend to say that because they like the top of the tank that they are arboreal.

lol ok, a little off topic, a rant I do believe. Can't remember who I first heard that from, but it makes sense no?

teasing? Who me? *whistling innocently*

9. -RPN-

-RPN- Legendary Member

How many crickets do you feed these guys/gals and how often?
    Do you also feed them FF's?

10. Daystorm

Daystorm Member

I do feed them some fruitflies, since I need to keep some cultures for my mantella. I don't use it as a staple (for obvious reasons). I usually give them about 9 or so crickets per feeding, making sure that each has had their share. I feed them every second day, or if they had a big feeding, I wait an extra day. Once they are adult though I will be feeding them every third day.

I'm also going to be introducing waxworms and butterworms into their diets soon. Even if I could get some pheonix worms, the frogs have quite outgrown them. Crickets will be adjusted accordingly.

11. crazy_boarder_dude

crazy_boarder_dude Contributing Member

Really sweet frogs you got there

12. -RPN-

-RPN- Legendary Member

Are these guys active throughout the tank all day?

13. Daystorm

Daystorm Member

They are visible at all times. Well, except for Lil'bugger, who seems to make himself quite scarce at times. I have a few places they can hide, but they never really use them (except for the afformentioned frog) I have a schefflera that's doing strangely well in the tank, and from time to time one of the frogs will be on it at the very top. If I show my face too often, they congregate to the front of the tank and act like I'm going to feed them. (doesn't even matter if they just got fed!) If you're wondering if they are worth the price, the answer is YES!

Like I mentioned before, I would like to make some changes to the tank and I think that like to the moss place is going to come in handy heheheh!

Social Sharing