Malaysian Leaf Frogs

Discussion in 'Other Amphibians' started by pcw_phoenix, Jul 16, 2010.

1. pcw_phoenix

pcw_phoenix Member

Anyone here breed them???or keep pairs of them??? I saw 5 for sale at a petshop today...how do u tell genders?

Thanks

2. anuranman

anuranman New Member

The males are small, the females twice the size. Often just one sex comes in. Very cool frogs, the male sounds like a yappy little dog.

Andrew

3. pcw_phoenix

pcw_phoenix Member

So..the petstore that i saw them @..the dude told me that the nose of females are flat and the nose of males are like arrows? that's false??

4. [JL]

[JL] Member

Yep, false. Both sexes have pointed noses (M. nasuta). I have also seen specimens of both sexes with markedly smaller, rounder noses. Sexing based on nose morphology is very erroneous.

Based on the petstore guys method of sexing frogs it is clearly evident that he has no idea what he is talking about. As already mentioned, the best way to differentiate between sexes is size. Males are small, about the size of a Christmas orange, and females are much much larger, about the size of a grapefruit.

5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

I have a sexed pair. Definitely sexually dimorphic species.
    If you purchase them get ready to have another alarm in your house. I love em tho. What i have tried with success is to semi-cover their water bowl in some wood or bark. They like to attach their eggs to it.

This is a good care sheet.
    http://talkto.thefrog.org/index.php?action=vthread&forum=14&topic=1544

Social Sharing