Local Stores?

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by DunderBear, Jul 8, 2016.

1. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Are there any local quality frog stores in the Greater Vancouver area, that sell leaf litter, isopod+springtail cultures and what not. I'd prefer to not deal with shipping stuff and instead buying locally but if it must be done then it must be done.
    Also looking for local Auratus or Leucomelas breeders if there's any just PM me thanks in advance.

2. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

I don't think you're going to find any 'frog stores' anywhere. You may find other local members who can help you out though.

3. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Yeah that's what I thought was just trying to keep my hopes up. Man living in Canada is rough for keeping pets in general. The US is so privileged to have cheap shipping, lots of exotic animal stores and what not. Even in the aquarium hobby they have smoking deals on a lot of things I can't even dream of here which sucks.

4. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Be happy you live in Canada :)

5. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

For certain reasons yes and for certain reasons no. I don't know a lot about the world but this is my opinion on the matter whatever though can't do nothing about it. Looks like I'll have to ship everything hopefully I can find someone else who needs to or wait til the kinda local reptile con.

6. Lance

Lance Legendary Member

Dunder a lot of people collect they're own oak leaf when they drop in the fall, right now order a few bags from Phil, UE or jungle Jewel to get you by for the time being.
    Scout for some oak trees or even willow does pretty well. Just remember to boil all the leaves you collect.

7. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Yeah this was one idea I had but I don't know where I can collect leaf litter and where pesticides are used.

8. Lance

Lance Legendary Member

Dog parks, parks ect
    Do some research on google in your area for oak trees. I bet there'll be a few finds with locations. As for pesticides chat with a park employee before gathering the leaves, they'll let you know.

erikm likes this.
  9. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Ah okay thanks for this I'm a new and younger member so I didn't know about how I should go around figuring out if the park uses pesticides or not thanks a lot though.

10. Lance

Lance Legendary Member

Anytime dude, this forum is all about helping each other out. It takes a while to get knowledge on everything,scouting out your leaf litter pots ect. I can't wait till the fall to collect more leaves.
    Oh also with the leaves keep a 4L jug of the boiling water mix. The leaf litter tannins are really rich and great for tadpole development

11. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Ah yes I've heard about Tadpole Tea mixes. Coming from an aquarium background I understand water quality and tannins quite well so thanks for that :)

Social Sharing