Less permanent 3D foam background build

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by TheRoadToSwole, Jul 20, 2017.

1. TheRoadToSwole

TheRoadToSwole New Member

Posted this in another thread for a member asking about making a 3D background and figured others might benefit from it too!

I made my custom background using the standard spray foam/silicone/background substrate method but went a slightly different route than most people and it ended up working fantastic!!
    Essentially i wanted a background that was less permanent and easily removable, yet very secure without having to spray directly on the viv glass...

What i did was I measured the dimensions of the panel of glass that i wanted the background to rest against and screwed together a box/frame using 2x4s with the interior dimensions of the box matching exactly that of the back panel of glass. I then laid a couple layers of parchment paper over some plywood and screwed the 2x4 box/frame onto the plywood/parchment paper. I then added my decor into the box/frame and spray foamed it all in place followed by the standard cutting of the foam and siliconing of moss and cocofibre to provide a natural look. I then unscrewed the 2x4 frame, removed the background which involved some cutting with a razor and peeled off the parchment paper. After putting the background into the vivarium, I ensured that i ran a heavy bead of silicone around the entire perimeter of the background to seal it off to prevent mold buildup and to keep frogs from getting trapped behind the background.

I think i'll be doing this method for all my future vivariums when its possible. It's much easier to cut out a perimeter of silicone to remove the background if need be than it is to scrape out all of the spray foam. Also, with this method, you have muuuuchhh more forgiveness if your background doesn't turn out how you like. Waaaaaaay easier to just remove the background from the frame that you've built and restart than it would be to remove it if it were spray foamed into the actual vivarium! Also, no need to worry if the background you've created is slightly larger or smaller than the vivarium you're putting it in. It is very easy to trim to size if it is too large using any sort of knife really. Also, if it is a little too small, simply run a thicker bead of silicone around the perimeter when siliconing it in place and press what ever background substrate you're using into it.

Side note: i would absolutely avoid using spray foam instead of silicone to secure the perimeter of background to the vivarium as it would undoubtedly crack your glass IMO.

Not sure if this method is commonly used in the hobby and if it is, my apologies for thinking i've reinvented the wheel :p

Let me know your thoughts folks!!

2. Remymartin

Remymartin Member

I would hate to have to apply foam directly on to my case, then work from there. You can comfortably work on your background, see it at different angles, I guess it is easier then working on something that's vertical and attached to a tank. Thanks !!!

Social Sharing