Interesting "Santa Isabella" variety

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by GermanEdam, Jan 29, 2018.

1. GermanEdam

GermanEdam Member

I bought my one Santa Isabella 4 months ago, he's probably a year old now? And is still showing some unique colours and patterns... he's a very deep red, dark, but not brown. Has a neon bluish - greenish hue on his stripes/ markings. And has a dotted/ broken stripe down his back. Tell me what you think!

IMG_6381.JPG IMG_6382.JPG IMG_6384.JPG IMG_6385.JPG

I'll see if I can get better pictures in the future!

Brennan likes this.
  2. GermanEdam

GermanEdam Member

IMG_7018.jpg
    Here's another picture... any comments?

3. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

I've seen some interesting colours from Santa's, Pete Wallertin used to have a group that were so red they looked like Rudolph's nose

4. GermanEdam

GermanEdam Member

He's nearly brown, but not quite.. still a very dark red.

Pardon my lack of knowable on this but,
    I haven't seen many forums on variety breeding?
    By variety, I mean the colour, patterns etc within the species of Epidobates anthonyi "Santa Isabella"
    I assume you may want to breed it with somthing similar, if it is a natural variation?
    As long as natural variations still remain within the frog ( i.e. Not breeding for show like USA frog) because we want to keep the frog as natural as possible.. in the case of somthing going wrong.. extinction etc..
    Please don't toast me, I just haven't heard too much about it, other than don't breed until to get somthing unnatural.
    I don't really want to start up a cross breeding/ hybridization debate cause we all know that it's bad, I would just like to know in terms of conservation/ preservation ( keeping them in a natural state) what do you guys think?
    ( will breeding with an alike variation encourage further problems? Like supporting unnatural colours/ patterns? )
    ( will it be more beneficial to breed with any other Santa Isabella that is different.. supporting what might happen in the wild?)

I do not want to breed frogs for show, I would like to keep them as they should be, as natural as possible...
    I hope I will not get frowned at, I am still a noob compared to you guys!

5. GermanEdam

GermanEdam Member

Any insight to the species or breeding? He looks extremely similar to an "ankas" but has a little more green in the stripes..

Social Sharing