Here's my first experience buying a frog...oh boy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by reptilesnfoods, May 31, 2018.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. reptilesnfoods

reptilesnfoods Member

I've recently taken the plunge in the world of dart frogs!
    I've been very involved in the reptile community for +10 years and have several of those years invested at a vet hospital.

After years of resisting, I finally caved and got my first dart frog Dendrobates tinctorius New River. What I thought was going to be straight forward transaction, I was in for a surprise.

I had actually purchased 4 (along with 4 thumbnails with a friend as we went in on the purchase together) New Rivers from a 'breeder' in edmonton that had an ad on craigslist by the name of slava. Well they transported all 8 frogs in a box with over TEN HOT SHOTS in the box with the frogs for their short trip in their car to be dropped off at a friends place until they were large enough to be shipped (why post frogs for sale that aren't even big enough to be re-homed yet and not disclose this with the buyer until after the purchase, I'm not sure). So obviously there were fatalities due to heat. And I didn't find out until the 3 remaining frogs (1 new river and 2 thumbnails who I hear did not make it in their new home) were sent to me by our friend in edmonton (who claimed they died right after she received them and had several big frog names even verify that after they sought out help from experienced breeders why the frogs were passing away one after another). After very politely bringing this to the breeders attention they claimed they knew what they were doing as they had been doing this for over 2 or 3 years. Now I'm not sure about you but I've been breeding endangered species of reptile for +10 years and there's always still something to learn. At no point would I call myself a pro and stop seeking out more information on care/health.

So, I am now the proud care taker of a single New River Dart frog. I love the little guy/gal and once it is a bit bigger I will be placing it in its new forever home!

Here are some photos of the build of its new tank. It's not fully complete, the plants are really starting to take over and baby tears are covering most of the ground that isn't covered in leaf liter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

erikm likes this.
  2. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

Very sorry you lost so many of these beautiful animals. We also ship frogs throughout Canada. We very rarely use any heat packs when shipping just gel packs in an insulated box. We have never had casualties. Keep an eye on your remaining new River as long term prognosis for overheated frogs is not good in my experience. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dawn

3. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Yikes.. that sucks to hear.

On a good note, your viv is looking really nice. Good job!

4. reptilesnfoods

reptilesnfoods Member

Thank you Dawn. I was very very upset to hear they all passed. Poor little buggers. I appreciate your guidance! I had actually messaged you on facebook regarding your new rivers and am excited for when they are older and start producing offspring.

The frog will be 8 or 9 months old next week so I hope it's out of the woods but time will tell. I'm currently feeding it twice a day and it is a total pig which is fantastic. Grown like crazy in just 3 weeks. I know it is going to be difficult to sex it given that there is just one, but when do you think an adequate age would be to sex it? Here are some photos of it from last night :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

erikm likes this.
  5. erikm

Don't think you have much to worry about. That is a healthy looking frog :)

6. reptilesnfoods

reptilesnfoods Member

Thank you for the kind words and input on the health of the frog, that means a lot.
    I'm on the hunt for another New River to accompany this one once they are old enough but I'm enjoying watching the plants and frog grow for now. I never thought I'd enjoy watching plants grow as much as a baby frog :DI'm understanding how many keepers have more than just one enclosure.

7. erikm

Yep you can't just have one viv!

reptilesnfoods likes this.

Social Sharing