Help Setting Up First Vivarium?

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by DunderBear, May 23, 2016.

1. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

I'm planning my first vivarium which is going to be the Biopod Grand since I thought it looked cool and was a nice concept. The dimensions of the tank are 48"x15"x28" (LxWxH) and heres a link to the exact model http://www.biopod.com/grand/. Honestly the only thing I know at the moment for sure is that I want Dart Frogs and a nice looking vivarium to match that haha. So yeah basically help me pick out and plan what exactly I need. I'm planning on making some sort of water feature so I plan to use Hydro Balls or would Egg Crate Bottoms be better?

2. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

what kind of water feature are you looking at doing? Waterfall, pond, stream?
    From my experience I've always found that anything with moving water is difficult. It's hard to keep other area in the tank stay dry. For example a waterfall in the corner may splash water for a full foot from itself, leading the substrate in this foot area to be very wet leading to a difficult time with plants. Careful planning is the key.

What kind of background are you planning?

3. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Alright interesting I was thinking of some sort of waterfall streamlike water feature I mean I don't know it since there's a misting system already and what not. As for background I'm going to silicone cork bark and create ledges then plant some broms and what not.

4. Drew

i must add that I do not know anything about biopods. So it maybe easier than than normal tanks.

5. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Biopod has a waterfall feature that you can pay extra for however I haven't bought it yet as I don't know what it's like.

6. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Rather than list exactly what you need I will point you in the direction of some build threads that you can use as inspiration. There is no 'exact list' of items. Everyone has different preferences/opinions.

Here are some build threads I recommend:

http://www.canadart.org/threads/build-journal-custom-in-wall-vivarium.13180/

http://www.canadart.org/threads/full-build-for-e-anthonyi-video-tutorial.13153/

http://www.canadart.org/threads/big-build-36-x18-x24.13000/

http://www.canadart.org/threads/fantastica-nominal-cork-stump-18x18x24.12910/

http://www.canadart.org/threads/36hx36wx18h-exo-terra-build.13136/

http://www.canadart.org/threads/180-gal-4x3x2-fwogiz-living-room-display-vivarium-journal.11437/

There are many more great threads throughout the forum. If you have specific questions feel free to ask. You'll get more responses to these specific questions rather than the "Exact list" type of thread :)

Goodluck!

7. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

I mean aren't there general necessities like the substrate people normally use ? and what not. Also how much leaf litter would you need for a tank my size?

8. Drew

I use Orchid bark, ground cork and charcoal.
    Leaves are usually sold in gallon bags. I would say they cover 2 Sq ft per gallon

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

9. TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton Contributing Member

The Biopod isn't going to be a typical build - the irrigation wall alone changes the nature of how it is set up and planted. For drainage, since it will be clearly visible, I'd probably go with something like aquarium gravel in a color that you find appealing (that is actually what the creators of Biopod have used in all of their prototype displays.

For substrate, I think ABG is a great mix. I usually mix up my own batch of peat moss, sphagnum moss, cork bark chips, sand, and carbon.
    Personally I am waiting to receive my Biopod before I decide on anything - I want to see it in person so I can work around what I actually get rather than just the concept.

10. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Alright please keep me updated with that I didn't really know how the irrigation system on the Biopod worked so yeah I guess I'll wait.

11. Alpha Reptile

Alpha Reptile Member

Planning well in advance haha they just pushed the date back to september :'(

12. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

I think if it ships in September it will take 6-8 weeks to get them too because they are coming from China. I'm not positive about this though. Not sure anybody actually knows.

13. Alpha Reptile

Alpha Reptile Member

Ya honestly it's a gong show, my manager was at the show 'interzoo' that they announced this from and he said that they would in the store in september, however at this rate it won't be until december because they won't be ready by that date either lol

14. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

Wow I'm getting impatient they pushed it back for over a year so :/ I'll just get a crested gecko viv set up meanwhile I think.

15. DunderBear

DunderBear Member

I didn't watch the stream so where exactly did they say it was being pushed back until and why?

16. Alpha Reptile

Alpha Reptile Member

Watch the stream haha, it was basically retail is harder than we thought and we aren't ready, so september at the earliest

Social Sharing