Hello from Victoria

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pygmycory, Jul 16, 2017.

1. pygmycory

pygmycory Member

Hi, I'm new here, and also new to dart frogs. I am in the early stages of my first frog build, although I do keep my geckos in vivariums with live plants and have for years. I am coming from a fish and reptiles background, and work at a petstore that specializes in fish and reptiles.

The build is a bit of an oddball construction. It is actually a 24Lx18x18H exoterra divided in half. On one half, a crested gecko, on the other dart frogs. Each side will be approximately 12x18x18inches in size. It will be VERY carefully sealed to prevent any possibility of the inhabitants meeting. I'm considering/probably going to make sure the barrier is mostly non-transparent because I don't want the frogs frightened by the monster living next door.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the barrier, so there is a possibility that I may alter my plans and put the pictus gecko on one side, and have a separate dart frog tank. The separate tank would be either a 10 gallon or a 12x12x18 exoterra unless I resort to buying another container.

I'm not completely decided on species yet. I'm torn between R. imitator and D. tinctorius azureus. I'd prefer the imitators, but I know that azureus are much easier to find in my area and are highly recommended for beginners. They're also quiet, which is a plus, but I find the tales of intraspecies aggression worrying. I would really like to have more than one frog, and I am not sure this tank is big enough for that with azureus. The reason I'm so interested in the imitators is because I really like how arboreal they are, they have fascinating breeding behavior, and they can often be kept in groups. They're also really cute, and I think they'd make better use of a fairly tall tank. I know can culture melanogaster reliably as I ended up doing this for an extremely picky fish for the better part of a year, and if do I wind up with a gap I work at a petstore that carries melanogaster and pinhead crickets.

2. pygmycory

pygmycory Member

I visited Ethan today and he very kindly showed me his frog room, which was utterly fascinating. I now know that I want Ranitomeya, probably either R. imitator or R. vanzolinii. I was very surprised by how bold and personable the vanzolinii were, and am currently looking up more information on them. Knowing I'll be getting tiny arboreal frogs lets me know what I should be doing in the way of tank decor, hardscape and planting, and means I plan properly and can get going on that.

Social Sharing